Previous topic - Next topic

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

tom.boyd.125

Jeff,
Know what you will be working on today after you get home from work and watch the snow storm outside...
Downtown Deco structures are neat !
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

ACL1504

Jeff,

Very well done on the Ave #3 kit. I have about a dozen or more of Randy's stuff but haven't pulled the "Start Trigger" yet.

Enjoying your thread, thanks for posting.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

NEMMRRC

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on December 27, 2020, 03:36:23 PM
Anyone who's followed one of my previous builds knows that I really dislike glazing windows.  Acetate would be my preferred material, but the arched windows here preclude that.  So I'm using a liquid glazing, called diamond glaze.  It works OK most of the time on smaller windows, on these larger ones, some of my early attempts are wrinkly.  So I tried the micro krystal clear on a couple.  It isn't working very well, either.  I try to straddle the edges of the windows on something while they dry so they'll be flat.  Doesn't always work. We'll see when these dry which I'll use for the rest.  Funny, on my last build of this structure, when it came to the windows, I think it sat for several months.   ::)

Jeff
The Gallery glass people make this plastic sheets that lay under the "stained glass" to help smooth out and fill in the gaps when applying the Crystal Clear. Look it up on YouTube. That is how I first learned to apply this stuff. It does well but it does leave a stained glass look since well, it is made to simulate stained glass  ;D

Here is a link to one of the official Gallery Glass videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmQuasExnp4

And here is some yahoo trying to act like a bigshot trying out the stuff lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEXdJ21cWTE

Have you tried microscope slides?

Jaime

Zephyrus52246

Great video, Jaime.   :D   I'm not going to try microscope slides, I'd cut myself.  I'd have used clear plastic acetate for the windows, but the arches would be impossible to cut.  The gallery glass spread better with a wide piece of stripwood than the toothpicks I've used in the past.  Anyway, thanks for the tips and the video links. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

One (minor) issue with the plaster structures are the walls are very thick, so if you look thru the windows, you can see the thickness of the building.  I tried painting the back of a window black, but didn't like the effect, so I painted the inside of the windows black and used black construction paper glued to the inside of the walls to block the view inside.

Jeff

deemery

But remember, structural brick walls were as much as 18" thick!  A more modern building would have a brick veneer over a steel frame (so the windows would be maybe 6" recessed.)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Zephyrus52246

That's true, Dave.  If there was an interior here, I'd have painted the inside of the arches the color of the room.  The roof was fitted and sprayed with some texture paint, which is actually the tan on the right.  I overpainted this on the left as I again wanted this to be two separate buildings.  Need to figure out some roof details, there are two air conditioning units included, need some stacks as well.  Edge was sealed with "tar" made from Elmer's glue and black paint. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Windows are in finally.  Some of the liquid from the "glass" got over the edges, and since these were a real tight fit anyway, that needed to be trimmed/filed out.  Of course a couple of the window panes "broke" and one was so bubbly, I had to cut them out and replace them.  Still need to finish the right side door.

Jeff

bparrish

Jeff...

Looks great.   The arch windows are a problem for what I am going to suggest next but.....

Consider microscope slides or covers.  You of all people should not have any trouble running those down.

Use a machinist's scribe to cut and fit them.  One single swipe will do it.  Don't dig so deep that you can see a raggedy etched line. This is shattered glass and when you go to break it the glass will run all over because it does not see a single score.

Additionally a viewer of your railroad cannot see how thick the glass is. 

Now for the windows.... Many kit suppliers are using Tichy or Grandt Line windows that ordinarily would be used on wood structures. Brick structures have the windows set in as (noted earlier) some brick buildings have very thick walls.  Three or four courses of brick in thickness.

Try and find windows that are designed for masonry. That is they don't have an outer flashing molding so as to allow you to set them back into the brick. Now your glass is right up against the back of the window casting.

Hope this helps

Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

Zephyrus52246

Bob, how would you cut the glass for the semicircular arch tops?  I couldn't even cut acetate accurately for them.  Thanks for looking in.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Found/made some roof details in addition to the two A/C units for the roof.  Some weathering added to the roofs as well.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Last items were the front signs.  There's an included bead to be used as a lamp, but I didn't add it there will be lamps on the sidewalk.  I used the included bar sign, but made a new sign for the right side building.  Also made a Bar Mills sign (see my challenge build thread) for the right side.  Also a picture of the back, no one's gonna see it after it's on the layout.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Here's the structure in place, with it's "clone" next to it.  It's going on the other side of the town in the background, so I doubt many would notice they are the same buildings.  Anyway, thanks for following along!

Jeff

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision