Fountain Brewery kitbash #2 - 2021 winter build challenge

Started by Mark Dalrymple, December 31, 2020, 03:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rail and Tie

Lovely work! Those are some of the best painted HO people I have ever seen.

Thanks for setting the bar so high for the rest of us!
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

postalkarl

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Mark Dalrymple

Thanks so much for your comments, Darryl, Karl, Gregory and Jerry!

Darryl - you are too kind!

I'll be back to finishing this one off soon - just a major 1:1 project underway at the moment.

Cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

Well today I put the finishing touches on my challenge build - at least until I place it on the layout.

Photo 1 - shows the little awning I built above the service center door.

Photo 2 - shows the guy wires attached to the stack.  I used embroidery thread, tying knots around nut-bolt-washer castings I drilled and glued into the roof (and a pin into the fascia of the service center wall under the corrugated iron roof).  I drilled three holes in the stack and threaded the thread through these and attached reversible tweezers to the ends.  One of the threads I pulled through the opposite side hole and wrapped this around the stack a few times.  I used CA to attach the threads to the inside of the stack.  Extra thread was trimmed with nail clippers.

Photo 3 - shows the mini scene on the loading dock.  I will add scenes to the upper delivery door when in situ, as well as to the footpath in front of the shop.

Photo 4 - shows a close up of the shop front with bicycle hanging on display and a worker working on a bike.  (I see I need to touch up the bottom of the doors).

Photo 5 shows Zealandia cycle works slightly from the right.  I also added a chimney to the main part of the structure and a stack to the service center.

Photo 6 - shows Zealandia cycle works from the front.

This was a fun project.  Thank you all for following along.

Cheers, Mark.

ReadingBob

Simply stunning!  Well done all around Mark.   :D 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Zephyrus52246

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteSimply stunning!  Well done all around Mark.

Thanks so much, Bob.

I think these kits can be turned into something pretty cool, and with a different look to the majority of what's available.

I'm presently having a bit of a torrid time with my Scale Structures Tickners Watchworks.  The front wall casting was awful - filled with air bubbles, many on the doors and the corners.  I think if I had of known how much work was involved in repairing it I would have thrown my toys.  I did send a terse email, but it got ignored.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteGreat build, Mark.  I love the store front.

Thanks, Steve.

I think placing the structure in situ with the surrounding roads at various heights will both help make more sense of the structure and add a lot of drama.  I'm looking forward to doing this.  I can see I will have to cut my 'backwall diorama' into smaller pieces.  As I add the heft of these structures the weight gets too much to lift the diorama in and out, not to mention I worry the polystyrene bass will snap and cause damage.

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Mark

Excellent modeling, my friend. I have got a bit behind in reading the build threads the past few weeks and really enjoyed catching up with your thread. I'm looking forward to seeing this on your layout.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteExcellent modeling, my friend. I have got a bit behind in reading the build threads the past few weeks and really enjoyed catching up with your thread. I'm looking forward to seeing this on your layout.

Thanks so much, John.

I stopped by the train room after putting my car away this afternoon to have a look at how I might cut up my back wall diorama into smaller chunks.  I'm already eager to get this one sited.

Cheers, Mark.

tom.boyd.125

Mark,
Your kit bash came out great.
It will be a great addition to your layout...Well done sir !
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

Keep It Rusty

Very cool, Mark! The brick work came out great. Love the whimsy of the overall design.

Your efforts with these plastic kits has inspired me to buy a few cheap Kibri, Faller and Atlas kits on eBay.