Inaugural Expo Kit; Hayden Lithography - 2021 Winter Build Challenge

Started by NEMMRRC, January 01, 2021, 07:08:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEMMRRC

Quote from: postalkarl on January 07, 2021, 02:39:09 AM
Hey Jaime:

That is looking very well done. Like the coloring you chose.

Karl
I appreciate that a lot, Karl.

Jaime

ACL1504

Jaime,

Very nice looking structure. Great job on this one.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

NEMMRRC

Quote from: ACL1504 on January 07, 2021, 09:22:41 AM
Jaime,

Very nice looking structure. Great job on this one.

Tom  ;D
Thank you. B.E.S.T. did a great job on this one.

Jaime

NEMMRRC

Howdy!

Time to work on the detail castings.

The kit comes with a nice complement of metal castings. You know, barrels, pallets, smokejacks, etc.
I wanted to blacken the castings representing metal items first rather than prime them.
I have some metal blackening fluid I wanted to try out. The castings representing wood items I
primed with a rattle can (Rustoleum camo tan).

So here it goes.

The cast of castings lol

The wood items.

The metal items in the blackening fluid.

I wasn't sure how the blackening fluid would work. I let the items sit for about 5 minutes. This is what I got.

Ugh. All that stuff did was leave behind a slimy film on the castings and on some it actually corroded and pitted them. Notice my "control' casting (small chimney) is still "virgin".

What is odd is the fluid instantly blackened the brass chain length that came in the kit.

Oh well. You have to break a few eggs to make an omelette.

I guess I'll just have to prime the metal items with a black rattle can.

More as it develops.

Jaime

NEMMRRC

Howdy!

Time to work start building some signs to go on the roof.

There are two large signs that go on top of the roof. The modelers is guided to build these out
of laser-cut scribed wood panels and strip wood. I stained the wood with alcohol and India ink
and painted the frame on the billboard white. I applied the signs to the billboards the same way
I did on the walls, a glue stick.

Wherever possible I like to make jigs when cutting or gluing multiples of simliar pieces. Here you
can see how I made a jig on the cutting template for the billboards' supports.

Once I had the signs glued on the billboards I began to frame the whole thing with the stripwood.

I then glued on the supports.

And when the billboards were all done they went on the roof.

More as it develops.

Jaime

Zephyrus52246

NEMMRRC

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on January 08, 2021, 05:57:36 PM
Great work so far, Jaime.  And amazingly speedy.   :)

Jeff
Thank you.

I'm cheating. I began the build on December 16. I had 4.5 days off from work the weeknd of Christmas. I spent a great deal of that time on the build. However, this kit does build easily. I think the trickiest parts so far have been the wood loading dock and the yet to come rafter tails. That tar paper roof B.E.S.T. threw in went on in one evening. All the walls fit perfectly. I can't complain.

Perhaps I'll stop posting updates for a couple of weeks to make it look like it is taking a long time lol  :P

Jaime

Oldguy

Looking good.
If you have a Rust Stumps joist jig, they work well on rafter tails as well.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Keep It Rusty

I like that Lazy Susan all the castings are set on! Is that what it is?

NEMMRRC

Quote from: Oldguy on January 09, 2021, 10:09:06 AM
Looking good.
If you have a Rust Stumps joist jig, they work well on rafter tails as well.
Rusty Stumps makes a lot of cool tools to make modeling easier. I need to try their stuff. Thanks.

Jaime

NEMMRRC

Quote from: Rusty Robot on January 09, 2021, 11:26:07 AM
I like that Lazy Susan all the castings are set on! Is that what it is?
That lazy Susan gizmo is made by Tamiya. It comes as part of a set of two gadgets to hold up stuff in the paint booth.
- Tamiya paint stand

Jaime

NEMMRRC

Howdy!

Time to glue some details down and hang some stuff off the walls.

I need to go ahead and glue down the wood loading dock on the scenery base. So, I put down some
turf under the deck and waited for that to dry and then glued the deck and stairs on top of that.

The kit comes with these really groovy lamps to hang above the loading doors. There is even wire already
painted a nice green. I spray painted the lamp plastic castings a hunter green to match the wire. After
some fancy tweezer gymnastics and a lot of tongue biting I was able to glue the light bulbs and bent
wire on the lamps and the lamps on the walls.

I then took this really cool casting of a hoist with a pulley and glued it above the second floor loading
door and then glued the chain I blackened earlier to the whole affair.

It's getting very delicate having to handle the whole building as I glue stuff to the walls now. Normally one
would do as much of that while the walls are flat. However, that did not happen that way on this build. Oh well.

More as it develops.

Jaime

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

NEMMRRC

Quote from: S&S RR on January 10, 2021, 12:02:10 PM
Jaime

Your build is coming along great.
Thank you.

Had I know this was going to build into such a neat structure I might have started on it right after the inaugural Expo ...

Jaime