Inaugural Expo Kit; Hayden Lithography - 2021 Winter Build Challenge

Started by NEMMRRC, January 01, 2021, 07:08:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEMMRRC

Howdy!

Time to put down the track.

For some time now I have been following Joey Ricard with TracksideScenery.com on YouTube. He makes it
look real esy to do a lot of scenery stuff. I followed his methods for weathering track on this build.
You can learn about it by following the link below:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=paint+track+trackside+scenery

I am cheap when it comes to buying supplies and tools for the hobby. A great deal of the stuff
sold by the major hobby retailers is re-packaged everyday stuff. For example, if you bought the
micro brushes from the big box model railroad supplier you would pay a lot of $$ for the same
stuff you cab buy on Amazon marketed as something else. I bought a mess of micro brushes from Amazon
for only a few dollars. Amazon sells them as "disposable makeup applicator brushes" or something similar.

Anyway, these micro brushes come in handy when weathering track. That box I bought has 400 brushes for $8.

Here it goes.

- Spray paint your track flat black (preferably before you fasten to your diorama/layout)
- Fasten your track. I glued my length of track on the scenery base with UHU glue. It works like a champ.
- Take rust colored weathering chalks and mix that with rubbing alcohol to form a paste
- Paint the rust paste on the rails and tie plates
- Paint the ties a light earth color (I chose Country Tan from the Apple Barrel folks)
- Spread the ballast evenly (dry)
- Fix the ballast permanently using cheap hair spray. Soak it real good. I mean really soak it.
- Once the hair spray is dry take a dark color weathering chalk and blend everything together (I chose black)

Here is a graphic representation of all that.

By the way, that length of track came from an old Bachmann Train Hauler train set from over 25 years ago. Bachmann steel snap track.

Once all that was done I began to add some ground cover to the diorama.

I had a Woodland Scenics fuel oil tank in my stash of junk so I decided to add it to the diorama.

More as it develops.

Jaime

Mark Dalrymple

Janbouli

Track looks awesome , now go and do a large layout like that  ;)
I love photo's, don't we all.

NEMMRRC

Quote from: Janbouli on January 10, 2021, 03:36:32 PM
Track looks awesome , now go and do a large layout like that  ;)
I'm afraid I don't have that many old toy train sets  ;D

Jaime

NEMMRRC

Howdy!

Time to put down some gravel.

I've decided I wanted the surrounding grounds around the main building to be gravel or something
similar to that. I've tried this once before after watching a Joey Ricard video about it. It is
very simple and straightforward. Here is a summary of that:
- Sift Sakrete and collect the fines. This will simulate the gravel.
- Spread the "gravel" in the area of the diorama where it is required.
- Soak the living daylights out of all that with cheap hair spray.
- Wait until it is dry.

So here you see me sifting the Sakrete. I used a tea strainer I found at a yard sale.

This is the result of the sifting; gravel, rocks and boulders from right to left.

I took some dilute white glue and I painted the area where the gravel was to go and then sprinkled the
gravel covering all that and added some more for good measure. The white glue part is optional. I have to
do the dirty work downstairs in the basement so I have to take my diorama from the workbench in my
breakfast room down to the basement. Thus, I wanted to make sure the gravel didn't roll around
during the short trip.

Here is how that turned out.

I bought this nifty doghouse and dog on sale from the largest model railroad supplier back around
Christmas so I decided to use it on the diorama. Here is the kit contents.

Here is is all put together along with another item I bought on sale at the same time.

And here it is on the diorama.

I lack very little left on the main building (rafter tails and roof decorations) before I can
permanently glue it on the diorama base.

More as it develops.

Jaime

NEMMRRC

Howdy!

Time to wrap it up...

I am getting close to finishing this up.

Here is a view of the jig I made to chop up some rafter tails.

I ended up gluing each rafter tail individually with the whole structure turned up side down.

When gluing the roof decorations I made up some "tar" by mixing up some Aileene's Tacky Glue and
some black Gallery Glass. When it dries it leaves a simulation of tar and it glues the metal casting or
any other decoration to the roof.

Here you can see how I used the "tar" on the billboard supports.

And here you can see how I also used the "tar" on decorations that got glued to the outside of the walls.

I wanted to simulate some spilled oil under the fuel oil tank I added. I used some Mod Podge I
bought at the dollar store for $1. I've heard they changed the Mod Podge formula and that it does
not do as well as it used to. I did not have that experience here.

I wanted to add a utility/telephone pole to the diorama. That Bachmann toy train set that provided me
with the track on the diorama also provided me with said pole. I took some brown thread and soaked it
with dilute white glue to stiffen it and have it serve as the utility lines.

I took some floor shine and used that to give the insulators on the pole a glossy shine.

And here is how I planted the pole in the diorama.

I'm pretty much done with all I need to do except tidy up the diorama and make it photo-ready. At
this point I need to look it over with a critical eye.

More as it develops.

Jaime

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Keep It Rusty

Nice, Jaime. Came out a treat.

Is that an electrical meter box around back? Is it an FSM casting?

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

NEMMRRC

Quote from: Rusty Robot on January 12, 2021, 11:08:51 PM
Nice, Jaime. Came out a treat.

Is that an electrical meter box around back? Is it an FSM casting?
The electric meter box on the wall is a casting that came with the kit. It does look like one of FSM's castings that serves the same purpose.

The only detail castings I used that did not come with the kit were the fuel oil tank from Woodland Scenics, the dog house and dog from Walthers/Faller, the little people from a Walthers set,  and the Bachmann train set utility/telephone pole.

Jaime

GPdemayo

Great work on a very nice kit Jaime, neat touch with the dog house.....well done.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

NEMMRRC

Quote from: GPdemayo on January 13, 2021, 08:31:41 AM
Great work on a very nice kit Jaime, neat touch with the dog house.....well done.  8)
Thank you very much.
It's amazing how much a little bit of life adds a lot to a small scene.
Jaime