2021 Winter Build Challenge, Let's build a Jordan!

Started by Raymo, January 01, 2021, 09:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Dalrymple

ReadingBob

Looking great Dan! 

If you really want to be frustrated try using an old (ancient) bottle of liquid plastic cement to build one of these.  I tried that.  One time.  That's when learned the hard way that the old stuff no longer dissolves the plastic properly to create a bond.   ::)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ACL1504

Dan,

Great stuff. You make it look so simple and easy.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Raymo

Quote from: Jim Donovan on January 06, 2021, 09:39:41 PM
Dan;

Really enjoying the build. Have a question, when you clean up the parts how much force are you applying? I know sounds stupid but I don't want to shave off too much and sometimes hard to tell were the flash ends and the part starts. OK, a second question, when I built a Jorden bus the thread I followed recommended super glue. Here you are using the plastic cement. Photos show it looks great and I see no glue but how does it feel to work with for you?

Thanks

Jim D
Thanks for stopping by Jim. I slowly let the razor blade glide along the parts to remove the flash. When you have most of it removed you can lightly scrape away the rest. The fine grit sand paper will remove what's left without destroying the detail. Like I said I said in the beginning, use the tube cement to hold the part to hold the piece in place, then use the liquid to secure it in place. The liquid cement will actually melt the plastic parts together. Capillary action will allow a small amount to work.

Raymo

Quote from: postalkarl on January 07, 2021, 02:37:24 AM
Hey Raymo:

It's coming along very nicely. Can't wait to see it finished.

Karl
Thanks Karl!

Raymo

Raymo

Quote from: ReadingBob on January 07, 2021, 02:10:58 PM
Looking great Dan! 

If you really want to be frustrated try using an old (ancient) bottle of liquid plastic cement to build one of these.  I tried that.  One time.  That's when learned the hard way that the old stuff no longer dissolves the plastic properly to create a bond.   ::)
HaHa Bob.. That's why I bought a new bottle.. Plus the Tamiya brand has a nice small tip on the brush.

Raymo

Quote from: ACL1504 on January 07, 2021, 03:00:44 PM
Dan,

Great stuff. You make it look so simple and easy.

Tom  ;D
Thanks Tom! I must say I was intimated to tackle one, but as long as you don't rush the build it was actually FUN!

MAP

Great build thread Dan!  It's really coming along nicely.  I have a couple of these kits....not sure if I have the patience (or eyesight!!) to build one. 
Mark

Raymo

Quote from: MAP on January 09, 2021, 03:04:06 PM
Great build thread Dan!  It's really coming along nicely.  I have a couple of these kits....not sure if I have the patience (or eyesight!!) to build one.
Thanks Mark!

Raymo

So getting back at it, I rounded up the parts and gave them a soaking in soapy water. They were then left to dry overnight. I didn't photograph any of it because I've covered it before and most of us have done it.

Raymo

So back in the olden days as a Sophmore in my first week of autobody training at the local Voc/Tech school, They actually gave me some "Free" study aids that included a 3 ring binder with a bunch of technical bulletins supplied by the paint manufacturer Ditzler. In the binder was this booklet on refinishing Model A's. Inside is a couple pages of color chips and the years they were used.

Raymo

I like the green on this chip. I chose TruColor NH #401 green and engine black for the main colors.

ReadingBob

Wow!  What great reference material to have on hand! Looking good.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Raymo

A friend gave me a box Testors Fine Light Gray Laquer primer. I applied a light coat to the vehicle.