SRMW TUCKER & COOK MILL - 2021 Build Challenge

Started by S&S RR, January 01, 2021, 10:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

The first step on any build for me is to get the pictures provided by the kit manufacturer on my iPad so I can play with sketching possible changes. Since I will be building this as a Crew Quarters, rather than a cotton mill I have some playing around to do.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I should have cropped the picture better - the instructions you see behind the picture is for G. Wilikers which is currently being detailed on my workbench.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

NEMMRRC

The big question is... Will you use the "puke green" trim color everyone gave me a hard time about when I built it lol?

VanGelder does make a fantastic kit and the whole package makes it so much fun to work on the kits. Makes me wish South River was still making kits.

Jaime

Keep It Rusty

I'm in the camp of, "Love that kit, hate that color".

BUT ... it is different. So I'll give it to Bob for producing it so boldly :)

John, those are some lovely scans. Was it your regular flatbed? It's like you were given the originals!

S&S RR

Quote from: NEMMRRC on January 02, 2021, 09:23:30 AM
The big question is... Will you use the "puke green" trim color everyone gave me a hard time about when I built it lol?

VanGelder does make a fantastic kit and the whole package makes it so much fun to work on the kits. Makes me wish South River was still making kits.

Jaime

Jaime

Thank you for following along.  As for the famous color, it is not my favorite and it will be one of the things that will be changed. I'm thinking right now of a light yellow with maroon trim for the main building. It was a suggestion from Mark Dalrymple which matches the trim of the Roundhouse and Locomotive Works that will be beside it. We had a discussion on this topic on my S&S RR build thread a few weeks ago.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

This is the link to Jaime's famous Tucker & Cook build thread from a few years ago, for reference.  Jaime did a great job and I would encourage him to post a few finished pictures here. ;)    ;D  I know where Jaime is storing his diorama and it is not completed.  ::) We need to encourage him to finish his build and thread.  We can call it in Jaime Challenge 2.0.

http://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=944.msg19446#msg19446
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Moving on and diving deeper into that wonderful red box.

Is it just me, I always look through the box of castings first.
John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Quote from: Rusty Robot on January 02, 2021, 09:37:53 AM
I'm in the camp of, "Love that kit, hate that color".

BUT ... it is different. So I'll give it to Bob for producing it so boldly :)

John, those are some lovely scans. Was it your regular flatbed? It's like you were given the originals!

Craig

Sorry, I missed your post.  I went back to look at what I just posted and it slipped in there.  Anyway,  your worries about the color are shared.  I will not be going in that direction.  The pictures are just photographs of photographs with my iPhone.  I just set the originals on my drafting board and shot the pictures.  You can see in a couple of them you have to be careful with the overhead lights reflecting in the glossy photographs.
John Siekirk

Keep It Rusty

Quote from: S&S RR on January 02, 2021, 10:13:28 AM
Is it just me, I always look through the box of castings first.

It's all in the details ;)

And it's not just you. I do the same. Love those little buggers