SRMW TUCKER & COOK MILL - 2021 Build Challenge

Started by S&S RR, January 01, 2021, 10:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on January 02, 2021, 10:15:57 AM
What a neat looking building.

Curt

I agree, very unique design.  Thank you for following along.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

NEMMRRC

Quote from: S&S RR on January 02, 2021, 10:10:51 AM

This is the link to Jaime's famous Tucker & Cook build thread from a few years ago, for reference.  Jaime did a great job and I would encourage him to post a few finished pictures here. ;)    ;D  I know where Jaime is storing his diorama and it is not completed.  ::) We need to encourage him to finish his build and thread.  We can call it in Jaime Challenge 2.0.

http://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=944.msg19446#msg19446
And here I've always thought of it as "Jaime's infamous build thread"  ;D

Jaime

p/s If I were to build this kit again, I'd stick with the original colors yet again. I always found them striking.

Erieman

Good Morning John et all,
Happy New Year to you my friend. I like the choice of your next structure. I have this on the end of one of my islands and it always get comments. May I suggest a couple of additions to the kit. Lightening rods are commonly found on these older structures since they are wood and are from an area where lightening is a common occurrence. I use small pieces of .010 phosphor bronze wire with a touch of Folk Art Greenscape acrylic paint to imply oxidization. A note of caution. Too many people don't see the rods and have a habit of pointing at the building and sometimes come in touch with the rods and boink, they are gone.
The other item I added were fire escapes. While not originally added to the building, depending on the time period you are modeling, fire departments made many of these structures add them for safety. Wooden buildings burn real fast. I can't recall who the manufacturer of the fire escapes is or was. I'll take some pics of my building so you can seen all the details.

This is another of Bob Van Gelder's fine work. I am currently building the SRMW Car Shop - Diesel Shop. Currently installing lights in the trusses. As always, keep up the fine work. Look forward to seeing your build.

Frank / Eieman

S&S RR

Quote from: Erieman on January 02, 2021, 11:11:22 AM
Happy New Year to you my friend. I like the choice of your next structure. I have this on the end of one of my islands and it always get comments. May I suggest a couple of additions to the kit. Lightening rods are commonly found on these older structures since they are wood and are from an area where lightening is a common occurrence. I use small pieces of .010 phosphor bronze wire with a touch of Folk Art Greenscape acrylic paint to imply oxidization. A note of caution. Too many people don't see the rods and have a habit of pointing at the building and sometimes come in touch with the rods and boink, they are gone.
The other item I added were fire escapes. While not originally added to the building, depending on the time period you are modeling, fire departments made many of these structures add them for safety. Wooden buildings burn real fast. I can't recall who the manufacturer of the fire escapes is or was. I'll take some pics of my building so you can seen all the details.

This is another of Bob Van Gelder's fine work. I am currently building the SRMW Car Shop - Diesel Shop. Currently installing lights in the trusses. As always, keep up the fine work. Look forward to seeing your build.

Frank / Eieman

Frank

Great to see you on the forum and following this thread. I like your suggestions for additions.  The lighting rods are a go but I need to find those fire escapes you used.  I don't like the plastic ones Walthers sells - just not to scale IMO.  If I remember right the ones you have are brass.  Can you give the long term memory another try and see if you can remember who made them? Also, can you post a picture of them here or send it to me? Can anyone else give me a lead on fire escapes? I know George Sellios has a ton of them on the F&SM.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

So I made some progress on the build today and got the photographs download.  It's getting too late to get them posted tonight, so I will have a update, tomorrow.  I did paint a couple pieces of wood the colors I'm thinking of for the main building.  The light yellow for the clapboard and the Mahogany - really a dark maroon for the windows and trim. The Mahogany is the color I used for the trim on the Roundhouse and Locomotive Works.

I also should report on my experience with trying to buy paint today.  I have one full bottle and about 25% left in a second bottle of the Vallejo Mahogany paint. I thought I would get another bottle on the way just in case.  The last bottle I paid $3.79.  On Amazon this afternoon they wanted $15.99.  We had a discussion here on the forum earlier in the week about the stores being out of craft paints.  I think I will wait until the shortage is over and take my chances with running out on this project.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Note on the picture above. On my screen in the post the yellow is more yellow and the Mahogany more dark brown than it is to my eyes in my workshop.
John Siekirk

jerryrbeach

John,

Gold Medal Models offers etched brass fire escapes.   FWIW, I believe Walthers handles their brass fire escapes, too.  Link below:

http://www.goldmm.com/
Jerry

Mark Dalrymple

Tichy Train Group offer plastic fire escapes.  From memory they are finer and more in scale (and cheaper) than the Walthers ones. They might not be the shape you are after for this project, but might be worth checking out for the price.  I have kitbashed some.  Fiddly work, but you can get a quite different look.

https://www.tichytraingroup.com/Shop/tabid/91/p/8060-fire-escapes/Default.aspx

Cheers, Mark.

NEMMRRC

Quote from: S&S RR on January 02, 2021, 10:10:15 PM

Frank / Eieman

Frank

Great to see you on the forum and following this thread. I like your suggestions for additions.  The lighting rods are a go but I need to find those fire escapes you used.  I don't like the plastic ones Walthers sells - just not to scale IMO.  If I remember right the ones you have are brass.  Can you give the long term memory another try and see if you can remember who made them? Also, can you post a picture of them here or send it to me? Can anyone else give me a lead on fire escapes? I know George Sellios has a ton of them on the F&SM.
The kit comes with one fire escape. It is a photo etched brass kit in itself. VanGelder offered it in a prior kit as well. Perhaps you can procure extras from South River if you give them a ring. When I built my fire escape I used CA glue to put it together. I suggest you solder yours.

Keep the updates coming.

Jaime

GPdemayo

Impressive kit.....this will be a great addition to the S&S.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Erieman

Quote from: NEMMRRC on January 03, 2021, 07:09:59 AM
Quote from: S&S RR on January 02, 2021, 10:10:15 PM

Frank / Eieman

Frank

The kit comes with one fire escape. It is a photo etched brass kit in itself. VanGelder offered it in a prior kit as well. Perhaps you can procure extras from South River if you give them a ring. When I built my fire escape I used CA glue to put it together. I suggest you solder yours.

Keep the updates coming.

Jaime

Jaime,

Thank you for reminding me where the brass fire escape came from. I have built so many kits since them, i guess i forgot that it was in the kit. I guess I should have looked back at the build manual to see that detail. Now that I recall, i think I asked Bob for another fire escape and he graciously sent me one. As I mentioned, i really like  building his kits.

I have several more fire escapes in my "to build" drawer. Don't recall where they came from, but they are the same caliber as the SRMW product. I have been adding them to some of my scratchbuilt structures. Fire escapes make a nice addition.

Frank / erieman

ACL1504

John,

Very nice kit for the 2021 Challenge. I'll build it with you. You build and I'll watch.  8)

Looking forward to this one.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Thank you all for the help with the fire escapes and for following along on this journey - I'm in the process of finding some more fire escapes - I know they will get used so I need to get some in inventory.  Jaime I went back into the box and dug deeper into the template cards and found the fire escape that Bob provides. Very nice - and I may test my solder skills to build it. How I will use it is still under consideration because of the changes I'm considering for the building renovations.

It's time for some background on this build - the story line is that this is mill was converted by the S&S RR into a crew quarters.  The top floor is the railroad presidents suite and office for when he is in town. I'm playing with some changes to the structure, that may include an observation deck off the loading door on the upper level, a walkway and observation deck off the upper level of the tower, an open door into the upper level that replaces the loading door with interior detail of the presidents desk and office etc. etc. We are in the what if stage at this point. The pictures are now loaded into my iPad where I can sketch, and play with options.  I will post some pictures when I get something to consider.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on January 03, 2021, 12:08:29 PM
John,

Very nice kit for the 2021 Challenge. I'll build it with you. You build and I'll watch.  8)

Looking forward to this one.

Tom  ;D

I better do a good job on this build - I have some pretty good modelers watching. :o  Thank you for following along.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on January 02, 2021, 11:12:19 PM
John,

Gold Medal Models offers etched brass fire escapes.   FWIW, I believe Walthers handles their brass fire escapes, too.  Link below:

http://www.goldmm.com/

Jerry

Have you ever bought direct from these guys?  Walthers lists them but they are out of stock, imagine that. I usually get about 25% of an order from them these days.
John Siekirk