SRMW TUCKER & COOK MILL - 2021 Build Challenge

Started by S&S RR, January 01, 2021, 10:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nycjeff

Hello John, I recently got caught up on your layout build thread and I am looking forward to seeing this addition join the other buildings on your beautiful layout.    Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

S&S RR

Quote from: nycjeff on January 05, 2021, 06:15:24 PM
Hello John, I recently got caught up on your layout build thread and I am looking forward to seeing this addition join the other buildings on your beautiful layout.    Jeff

Jeff

Thank you for following along and the kind words.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

I made some progress on this build, today.  The bracing is going on the back of the clapboard walls.  In the picture you can see the recommended minimum bracing that Bob recommends.  I believe in making sure things don't warp so I added some bracing running the length of the walls on the top and bottom along with the cross bracing that Bob recommended.

I also made some progress on painting the window castings and trim pieces the final dark red that I have chosen for the main structure. I will post some pictures when I get that step farther along.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I did an inventory of the clapboard castings and continued with the bracing, today.  So far, it looks like I have 2 B6 walls and I think I only need one.  Everything seems to be there for the clapboard walls. I will be reading ahead in the instruction tonight see if I need two B6 walls.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a picture of the tray of walls ready for painting.  Oh wait, I need to add some cross bracing to the wall on the left.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

You will notice that I go back and add a bead of glue along the braces after the initial glue dries.  George Sellios got me started doing that - his F&SM layout sees large temperature changes and he recommended it.  He also goes back on the underside of the walls and puts a bead across the corners of the window castings before the walls go together. 
John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

Looks like you are off to a good start. Will be following along with great interest. I never built or owned one of his kits.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on January 07, 2021, 02:43:43 AM
Hey John:

Looks like you are off to a good start. Will be following along with great interest. I never built or owned one of his kits.

Karl

Thank you for following along, Karl.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Today's progress consisted of more clapboard wall bracing. I have two more wall sections and then it will be time to get out some paint. I also need to figure out what modifications I plan to make so I can paint all the pieces at once.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update:  The clapboard wall sections have been braced and are ready for painting.  Also, in preparation for painting the laser burned edges have been sanded and squared up using the sanding block you see on the workbench.  Next up is the resin walls. 

I have also painted about half of the window castings, which prompted me to start a thread on air brushing with acrylic paints.  Here is the link.

http://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=5602.msg153044;topicseen#new
John Siekirk

NEMMRRC

80 windows is a lot of painting. I hope you took several breaks during all that painting.

Jaime

S&S RR

Quote from: NEMMRRC on January 09, 2021, 07:26:17 PM
80 windows is a lot of painting. I hope you took several breaks during all that painting.

Jaime

Jaime

Yes it is - I'm doing them in four batches.  I'm about half way there.  Thank you for following along.
John Siekirk

NKP768

Hey John
Just curious - why the switch to acrylics

Doug

Mark Dalrymple

Nice progress, John.

Looking good.

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Quote from: NKP768 on January 11, 2021, 12:05:51 PM
Hey John
Just curious - why the switch to acrylics

Doug

Doug

I made the switch when it got difficult to buy floquil paints.  I decided to switch and then gave away - to a very good modeler - all of my floquil paints.  I wanted to make a clean break and not have issues with mix and match.

Now that I am learning to airbrush with the acrylics I really like them better.  And the smell is gone.
John Siekirk