Started by S&S RR, January 01, 2021, 10:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on January 11, 2021, 12:12:49 PM
Nice progress, John.

Looking good.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Thank you for following along and the words of encouragement. 
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Today, I successful got my airbrush out of moth balls and painted the window and door casts, the large cap castings for the main building, and the strip wood that I will need for the corners of the main building.

I have been doing all my spray painting with rattle cans for the past few years and finally started using my airbrush again with acrylic paints.  See the thread on airbrushing with acrylics that I linked above.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

You can also see that the wood detail castings got their first bath of A&I. I will now do some detail painting on them and then get out the chalks.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Work continues on this build, I waited a day for the paint to cure and I'm now adding the window glass to the castings.  Also, getting the clapboard walls ready for painting.  The brick wall castings need just a little more prep work and they will be heading to the paint booth. I will take another set of progress pictures as these steps are completed.
John Siekirk

Jerry

Nice progress so far John.

Big question is who is going to wash all those windows????:)

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Opa George

Very nice so far, John.  Quite a significant build in progress.  I'm enjoying watching your work.

--Opa George

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on January 15, 2021, 11:08:31 AM
Nice progress so far John.

Big question is who is going to wash all those windows? ???:)

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you for following along - as for washing the windows I think it would be a full time job with the crew quarters in the back of a yard full of steam locomotives.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Opa George on January 15, 2021, 12:31:12 PM
Very nice so far, John.  Quite a significant build in progress.  I'm enjoying watching your work.

--Opa George

George

Thank you for following along and the encouraging comments. I have some more progress to report, tonight.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Today, I made some more progress.  The back side of all the wall castings got a coat of black paint, so the windows will not show an unfinished building interior.  I should mention that I have decided that the build will be located too far back on my layout to make any interior detail visible. So I have scraped the plans to detail the upper level as the Presidents office.  I will be adding and observation deck to the tower so the RR President can view his investments.

I also added the canopy glue to the window castings and used my new drying rack for the first time.  It worked really well.  I think this build has the highest window count of my builds to-date, so it was a good test of the rack.  The rack is made of alligator clips mounted on plastic sticks that fit into the plastic base.  I found it on Amazon for a few bucks and decided to give it a try.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The outside of the clapboard walls has been painted light yellow.  I popped a couple windows in for the picture to do a color check.

John Siekirk

Mark Dalrymple

Nice progress, John.

Sure looks like a lot of windows!

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on January 16, 2021, 02:06:22 PM
Nice progress, John.

Sure looks like a lot of windows!

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Thank you for following along and yes there are a lot of windows in this build.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

The window castings are all ready to be installed in the wall castings.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I completed four more steps on the clapboard wall castings.  First I added the trim pieces that match the window castings.
Then,  I added the nail heads with a pounce wheel. To make the nail heads pop and dull down the yellow I added a light A&I stain.  This is my extra light mix with 10 drops of inch in a pint of Alcohol. On this light yellow color even this was a little to dark so I gave the walls a brush of light yellow chalk.  I'm finding that I want to do this final step to every structure on the layout.  It dulls the colors down a bit and gives the walls some texture that really looks good under the layout lights.  Here is a series of pictures that show these steps.

In this final picture for tonight - the window castings are starting to go into the clapboard walls.

John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

Very Very Very Impressive my friend....Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)