SRMW TUCKER & COOK MILL - 2021 Build Challenge

Started by S&S RR, January 01, 2021, 10:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on January 25, 2021, 03:33:43 PM
John,

Another very nice build.

Tom  ;D

Thank you for following along, Tom. It's getting interesting now.  I had to get out the instruction book for the top of this structure.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Today, the tower was assembled.

Then added to the main building.

I then got started on adding the entry door beside the tower.  Bob is giving me an opportunity to use every clamp I own in the construction of this kit.  So far I'm really enjoying the build.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

If you look close you can see that the nail heads are there.  The yellow chalk that I added really covered them up. As I said earlier I have to decide if I want to hit this with another A&I wash to make the nail heads pop.
John Siekirk

Keep It Rusty

Lovely work John.

That color scheme is heads above the original.

postalkarl

Hey Jon:

You are moving right along. Love the color combo.

Karl

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, John.

When the doors and windows are in such good condition, I wonder whether weathering the clapboard further to bring the nailholes out would cause a conflict?

Cheers, Mark.

PRR Modeler

Looks great John. It almost looks like Pennsy building colors!
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Quote from: Rusty Robot on January 27, 2021, 10:56:34 AM
Lovely work John.

That color scheme is heads above the original.

Craig

Thank you for the encouraging words.  I'm happy with the colors - Tommy sent me an email with a similar building with these colors after a discussion about the colors here on the forum.  Mark suggested this color scheme and now that I see it on a building I like it. My problem with colors is picking which ones to try. Once I see something painted I usually can say like, dislike, very quickly.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on January 27, 2021, 12:10:51 PM
Hey Jon:

You are moving right along. Love the color combo.

Karl

Karl

Thank you - I haven't reached Karl speed yet, but we are getting faster. Good music helps.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on January 27, 2021, 01:01:33 PM
Looking good, John.

When the doors and windows are in such good condition, I wonder whether weathering the clapboard further to bring the nailholes out would cause a conflict?

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

I'm leaning your way on this issue. This is supposed to be a recently repurposed and remodeled building so heavy weathering is not appropriate. You will notice that I didn't lift clapboards on this one, either.  I believe that verity makes the layout more interesting and I have a number of very weathered buildings in this area of the layout.  I keep to my practice of having a story behind each structure. So that is my story and I'm sticking to it. Thank you for your comments and for following along.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Today, the foundation was installed on the main building. It is so nice that Bob included this often overlooked detail in this kit. You attached to casting together to make the base and then glued the main clapboard assembly on top. Mine fit great with just a little overhang as it should be.

John Siekirk

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on January 27, 2021, 08:39:13 PM
John great coloring!

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you, I'm glad so many like this color scheme.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Moving on to the next step, the top casting was added which provides a foundation for the mansard roof and the moldings that trim out the top of the main building.  As predicted in the instructions, it took a little work with a file to get this casting to fit.

We will let the glue dry over night and this should be ready to start the framing of the roof in the morning.

John Siekirk