SRMW TUCKER & COOK MILL - 2021 Build Challenge

Started by S&S RR, January 01, 2021, 10:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: madharry on February 06, 2021, 04:52:56 AM
Mark, I have built several SRMW kits and I have 5 Derwent coloured pencils that I use to colour the shingles. They cost £2 each. I have French Grey 70, Raw Sienna 58, Silver Grey 71, Peat TC18 and Green Moss TC15. They are far cheaper than the ones you are quoting and do the job for me. I used them on my Thorndikes.
Mike

Mike

I did a search and could not come up with a thread on your Thorndikes build.  Would it be possible to get a picture of the roof you did using the colored pencils?
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

madharry

Sorry John I did not do a build on it as it was much before my time on the forum. Unfortunately at the moment I cannot even photograph the model as it is on my Mill Falls layout which is at my second home in Watchet. Due to total lockdown in the UK at present I am banned from travelling any distance. My new car which I bought in June has travelled just 700 miles before total lockdown just after Christmas. Once again my apologies.
Mike :(

madharry

Hi John,
I found these of the Creamery and Thorndikes. I did the weathering of the shingles lightly on Thorndikes. I was not concentrating on photographing the roofs. The Creamery was better as there were two roofs to colour. I think the main creamery roof was actually resin while the roof to the left are paper shingles. I hope this helps. I have a Prismacolor PM-70 Sand  which is similar to the brand you have ordered.
Mike

S&S RR

Quote from: madharry on February 06, 2021, 12:56:37 PM
Hi John,
I found these of the Creamery and Thorndikes. I did the weathering of the shingles lightly on Thorndikes. I was not concentrating on photographing the roofs. The Creamery was better as there were two roofs to colour. I think the main creamery roof was actually resin while the roof to the left are paper shingles. I hope this helps. I have a Prismacolor PM-70 Sand  which is similar to the brand you have ordered.
Mike

Mike

Thank you, and I understand about the problems all these lockdowns are causing. I need to do some searching on the internet for some prototype slate roof pictures.  I don't think I've ever seen a slate roof in Michigan. I know they have them in the East, and in the snow country so I think it's availability of material here.  Like I said, some research is required.
John Siekirk

ReadingBob

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Mark Dalrymple

Thank you very much for the information John and Mike.

John - yes - there is a lot more information about shingling here.  It will be a good source of information for anyone doing some.  I was interested to see how many techniques I have developed over the years the Bob has also developed.  I did some slate shingling just yesterday and cut my high tack tape into strips, painted it grey, and used it for valley flashings and flashings around the elevator shaft.  I've spent a fair amount of time working on houses at the same time as roofers and seeing how things are done, and so when modeling I try to emulate the process.  It makes sense that others will come up with the same methods but its good to know great minds think alike!  I've also been using double sided tape for Campbell shingles for some time, although I add a bead of glue as well.

I figured you would be able to get those markers at a much cheaper price than me.  This is the sort of thing that you would only find in an art supply store here in NZ.  I always shake my head when you guys talk about 99 cent cans of spray paint - the cheapest I have ever seen them here is $9.99!  Storing the markers in an air tight snap lock bag sounds like a great tip.  I was wondering how long they would last before drying up.

I'll be interested to see your roof come together, especially with the pattern.

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Quote from: ReadingBob on February 06, 2021, 01:38:03 PM
How about this one John?   :) 

Bob

Great picture - thanks that is just what I need to see.  Do you know where this picture was taken?  I'm curious about a tile roof being prototypical for a mountain area? Freeze and though affects etc.
John Siekirk

ReadingBob

John, I took that picture in my hometown of Schuylkill Haven, PA.  We stayed in the Stone House Bed and Breakfast a couple of times while visiting family prior to the pandemic.  It's an old mansion in the center of town that at one time was a Doctor's house/office.  The picture I posted was from a small structure in a garden next to it but the roof is the same on the main structure. 

Back in the 70's I had a cousin who rented a room in the top floor.  We used to crawl out the window onto the roof in the evening.  Had a great view of the town from up there.   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

S&S RR

Quote from: ReadingBob on February 06, 2021, 02:02:59 PM
John, I took that picture in my hometown of Schuylkill Haven, PA.  We stayed in the Stone House Bed and Breakfast a couple of times while visiting family prior to the pandemic.  It's an old mansion in the center of town that at one time was a Doctor's house/office.  The picture I posted was from a small structure in a garden next to it but the roof is the same on the main structure. 

Back in the 70's I had a cousin who rented a room in the top floor.  We used to crawl out the window onto the roof in the evening.  Had a great view of the town from up there.   ;D

Bob

Thank you for the followup - it sounds like a very cool place to visit. I need to do some research while I'm waiting for my markers to arrive from Dick Blick. The tracking from Fed Express says they will arrive tomorrow.  We will see.  Thanks again for the information.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I added the roof cards to the build, today.  Here are a few progress pictures that describe the process.

I started with adding some LED lights to the dormer level of the building.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I then did a dry fit of all the roof and trim pieces.  I will need to brush paint the trim all around the roof at this level.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I then added the flat trim pieces - it is a two piece assembly. I added some extra bracing.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Then the main roof card was glued in.  This took an impressive stack up to keep it in place while the glue dried.

That's it for now. I will take a picture of the roof after the clamps are off in the morning. I will then be on hold with this project until I get the markers to color the roof.
John Siekirk

NEMMRRC

John,
When I built up my Tucker and Cook I followed VanGelder's instructions faithfully when doing the shingles. The effect was fantastic. It was fairly easy to do. My set of Prisma Color grey pens is till going strong after all these years. I store them in ziplock bag. They are well worth the money.
Jaime

S&S RR

Quote from: NEMMRRC on February 07, 2021, 08:16:02 AM
John,
When I built up my Tucker and Cook I followed VanGelder's instructions faithfully when doing the shingles. The effect was fantastic. It was fairly easy to do. My set of Prisma Color grey pens is till going strong after all these years. I store them in ziplock bag. They are well worth the money.
Jaime

Jaime

Thank you for the comments and for following along with my build. My plan is to also go with the instructions. 

I took a look at your build thread last night and your roof did turnout fantastic.  I'm hoping to get my shipment of markers, today.  At least that is what the tracking says.  I have a few SRMW builds on the list so I know the markers will get used. I hope that like cold temperatures - I have to make sure they don't sit outside on the porch very long.
John Siekirk