SRMW TUCKER & COOK MILL - 2021 Build Challenge

Started by S&S RR, January 01, 2021, 10:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

John,

I agree, it is all well done. Looks great.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on February 20, 2021, 01:43:29 PM
Looking top notch, John.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Thank you for the kind words, I got over my little snag with the window castings today so I should have some more progress pictures tomorrow.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on February 20, 2021, 03:14:58 PM
John,

I agree, it is all well done. Looks great.

Tom  ;D

Tom

Thank you for the encouraging words. The main building is getting close - next up some roof details.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here are a couple progress photographs from the end of the day, today.  I started assembling the auxiliary buildings.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

postalkarl

hey John:

Wowwie!!!! just gorgeous. The roof came out very nicely.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on February 21, 2021, 11:42:10 PM
hey John:

Wowwie!!!! just gorgeous. The roof came out very nicely.

Karl
Karl

Thank you, my friend. I think there will be some more tile roof buildings show up on the S&S RR.
John Siekirk

jerryrbeach

John,

As I have come to expect, simply beautiful modeling of a large and complex structure.  I was wondering if you have given any thought to subtly coloring some of the shingles on the mansard roof?  They look too uniform to me, especially compared to the beautiful shades of the shingles on the main roof.
Jerry

deemery

And now a contrary opinion.   I think the slate colors on the mansard are just fine.  I have seen those color patterns on many prototype buildings. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on February 22, 2021, 09:30:06 AM
John,

As I have come to expect, simply beautiful modeling of a large and complex structure.  I was wondering if you have given any thought to subtly coloring some of the shingles on the mansard roof?  They look too uniform to me, especially compared to the beautiful shades of the shingles on the main roof.

Jerry

Thank you for the kind words.  I did make a sample with some of the brown color random in the areas that are not dark on the mansard roof. I didn't like it, so I decided to keep the original pattern from Bob's prototype. I think the only way I could pull it off is to remove the shingles and start over with the same pattern on the mansard roof as on the main roof.

After further review - I may try a sample with both a brown and medium gray breakup to the lighter parts of the mansard roof.  Stay tuned.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on February 22, 2021, 10:33:05 AM
And now a contrary opinion.   I think the slate colors on the mansard are just fine.  I have seen those color patterns on many prototype buildings. 

dave

Dave

You got this post in while I as typing my response to Jerry. I'm going to do a test on sample block but for now it's only a test.
John Siekirk

Keep It Rusty

Impressive roof, John. Really makes that building go *pop*.

I'm in the camp of liking the mansard roof. I think it offsets the main roof quite nicely. If anything, maybe just some additional light weathering?

Great work.

deemery

John, try stippling pigments/chalks with a stiff brush on the slates.  Even a bit of green or blue... 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: Rusty Robot on February 22, 2021, 05:44:13 PM
Impressive roof, John. Really makes that building go *pop*.

I'm in the camp of liking the mansard roof. I think it offsets the main roof quite nicely. If anything, maybe just some additional light weathering?

Great work.

Craig

Thank you for the encouraging words. I'm leaning toward keeping the pattern on the mansard roof and adding some weathering like I always do.  I added the ridge caps and will start the process by adding all the details to the roof.  Then we will see how far I decide to go with weathering. It's a recently repurposed and refreshed building so the weathering is going to be light.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here are a couple pictures with the ridge caps. They really look light in the pictures - much more than they do to my eyes on the workbench. I think that is where I will start with the chalks.

John Siekirk