KC's Workshop, Grumpy's Cafe - 2021 Build Challenge.

Started by ACL1504, January 01, 2021, 06:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Referring back to the photo below, you can see how I extended the wall bracing down past the upper wall. This is to give me a little gluing area for the lower front wall section. Also, I only extended them long enough so they didn't show in the windows of the lower front wall.

I applied glue to these extended braces and then married the two front walls.

More in a few.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Here is how it looks with the extended bracing from the upper wall section.

I then added extra bracing to the lower wall and extended it to just below the windows on the upper front wall section. This bracing method is required if you want a strong front wall. Due the the placement of the large store windows, this was the only way to add the bracing.

Continued -

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I'll spare everyone the boring facts of making the deck for the second story. This will be added to the upper door I added on the right side wall.

I chanced making the platform by using the lines on my cutting mat. To my surprise I got it square and it is probably level as well.  :P

You can see I also had a boo boo and cut one of the deck/platform pieces to short. I used one of the braces to make the easy repair. This error won't be seen by any visitors once on the layout.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

At the Scranton Expo, I got the small green plastic square form Hal Reynolds. It was a freebie give away. Hal owns Atlantic Scale Models.

https://atlanticscalemodelers.com/index.html

The deck is square.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Here is how and where the upper deck will attached to the wall.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I randomly added some Hunterline Medium Brown A&I stain to the top of the deck. Once dry, I used the rough side of an Emory board and lightened the deck stain to represent a more weathered/worn look.

I then used an Xacto #11 blade and cut a few boards, nailed holes were then punched into either side of the cuts.

After adding the nail holes, I used a OOO Floquil paint brush to add stain to the nail holes.

Done for this fine night.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Keep It Rusty

jerryrbeach

Tom,

First, this thread is going to be such a blessing when I work on this structure.  Beyond that, your modeling of the deck complete with knotholes is really raising the bar!  Thanks for taking the time to document your build.
Jerry

Rail and Tie

Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

Looking just great. Keep up the good work.

Karl

GPdemayo

Quote from: ACL1504 on March 17, 2021, 05:59:46 PM
Quote from: GPdemayo on March 17, 2021, 08:25:39 AM
Oh.....but then, so does Grumpy's Cafe...... ::)

Greg,

The SBG may not meet at Grumpy's Cafe, but we do meet at Grumpy's Place.  8)  Just saying.

Tom  ;D

Works for me..... ;)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Quote from: Keep it Rusty on March 17, 2021, 07:24:21 PM
Might fine work, Tom. Really liking this.

Craig,

Thanks very much. I appreciate the compliment.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: jerryrbeach on March 17, 2021, 07:59:35 PM
Tom,

First, this thread is going to be such a blessing when I work on this structure.  Beyond that, your modeling of the deck complete with knotholes is really raising the bar!  Thanks for taking the time to document your build.

Jerry,

Very happy to learn you are getting some tips for your build. I have other details to add to the deck, stay tuned. Thank you for the compliment as well

Tom   ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on March 18, 2021, 03:14:25 AM
Hey Tom:

Looking just great. Keep up the good work.

Karl

Karl,

Thanks my friend, I hope to do so.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com