KC's Workshop, Grumpy's Cafe - 2021 Build Challenge.

Started by ACL1504, January 01, 2021, 06:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: Rusty Robot on March 02, 2021, 08:00:49 AM
Very neat idea.

I may just have to borrow that myself ;)

Great work so far, Sir.

Craig,

Thank you! Sharing ideas and getting ideas on this forum is wonderful. I love this place.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

You are quite welcome. Always enjoy your builds.

Karl

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I painted the four walls with Floquil G.W. Cream. I thinned the paint with thinner to a 70% thinner and 30% cream. Basically this went on as a wash. While the paint was still wet on the walls, I then pressed them down onto a clean white paper towel. This gave me the look in the two photos below.

This is the first step in weathering the walls.

It appears the wall in the first photo is a darker cream than the wall in the second photo. The angle of the photo and light on the wall looks different. The walls are in fact the same color.

Also, I was going to paint the windows to match the store front but nixed that idea. I thought it would not be a good fit for the eye. I'll either go with weathered Cream or White weathered to match the walls. After all, the windows weather at the same rate as the walls.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Of the 3,000+ photos I have of the F&SM, this is the only photo I have of the Riffraff Cafe.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

It's looking just great. The finished entrance is just beautiful.

Karl

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on March 04, 2021, 03:02:07 AM
Hey Tom:

It's looking just great. The finished entrance is just beautiful.

Karl

Karl,

Thanks my friend, much appreciated.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I'm very late in posting updates but honestly I've been very very busy. I have about 15 things going from 1:1 stuff, modeling, husband duties and just generally being a Grumpy Old Man.

The Babe recently gave me this sign for the train shed. Either I'm to slow or she couldn't find a Grumpy Old Man sign.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Detailing and weathering the walls was something I've been putting off.  Many years ago I started to remove some boards from walls and replacing the boards with new 1X4s.  This time I tried something different.

I used a new #11 blade and removed a short section of siding. I then turned it over and glued it back into the wall as shown in the two photos below.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

In the center of the rear wall there is a small alcove with three walls. For those of you reading this thread and have the kit, you may want to pay attention to this next little bit of information.

I always test fit stuff like wall additions and sub walls. I fit the three alcove walls together and placed them on the center of the rear wall where they go.

NOTE: Don't glue the three wall pieces together, not yet anyway.

When I test fit the three alcove walls together and placed them on the opening, the sub assembly didn't fit. If you glue them together then they never will fit properly.

I got them to fit by not tightly pressing them together as shown below. These walls are a tight fit so you can make the adjustment as the flue dries. So again, be sure they fit prior to gluing the together or in place.

You can see in the  following photo that the two side walls are not pressed up against the back wall.

More in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Also included in the kit are three peel and stick pieces the go on the three alcove walls. I'm not using them on my build but in the next photo you can see I have them painted the front wall color. I could have painted them the cream color but then it would make for a bigger problem in the alcove walls not fitting properly.

Kenny includes in the kit a base for the structure. I don't plan on using it so the rear alcove needs a slab of concrete.

I took a scrap piece of strip wood, turn it over and made a test fit.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

In the next photo you can see I cut it to fit the opening. I cut it large enough so the entire alcove wall sub assembly fits on the slab.

Prior to gluing it in place, I used a flat sanding stick and beveled the front edge and then painted it with Floquil Concrete. When dry it was glued in place.

I was  going to leave the rear wall as it is in the above photo. However, I decided to stain and paint some scrap 4X4 wood and cut it to fit the door opening as shown below.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com