Bar Mills Cundy Village Hotel

Started by Jim Donovan, July 20, 2020, 11:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Donovan

Quote from: Rusty Robot on January 05, 2021, 09:39:16 AM
Appreciate the effort put into that download report, Jim. Will come in handy when the time comes for my kit.

For your chimney/wall warp issue, one idea would be to put some lichen or moss growing up the side instead of the trim. That said, I do still like the way the trim came out.

Craig, funny you mentioned vines, that is exactly what I plan when I 'plant' the hotel. I did the trim only as an idea for finishing the build thread. I think I made a bigger deal out of the chimney warp then I actually felt at the time. You really only see it with a camera and I do plan to have ivy climbing the building when done.

I appreciate your input and for following along.

Jim D
Holland & Odessa Railroad

Jim Donovan

Quote from: deemery on January 05, 2021, 10:23:18 AM
Speaking of window jigs:  The new HRM kit for a GN bunkhouse has a jig for positioning/gluing the windows into place.  That strikes me as a good/clever idea.  These kinds of jigs are relatively cheap to produce (they're usually cut on pieces of wood that would otherwise be scrap, and help separate kit designers who are experience builders from the 'riff raff" :-) :-)

dave
I think you are right Dave. The up side for the manufacturer is they would not need to put the two-sided tape on the parts. I'm not sure if I am a fan of the tape being used with these small parts anyhow. Glad you enjoyed the build.

Jim D

JimMooney

Chimneys for the hotel are sold separate, they are called "two story chimney" and are $12.95 each...BUT they are not on the website, so if anyone needs them soon, just call. But Art said he would update the site soon to fix it.

tom.boyd.125

Mr. Jim Donovan,
You started this build 5 months ago...and I missed it...so first we looked thru the build thread from start to finish.
Great modeling and craftsmanship. Sharing areas that were challenging is what it's all about.
The name change will do him proud. Looking forward to your next project.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

postalkarl

Hey Jim:

As I said earlier. I think you did A great job on this kit.

Karl.

Jim Donovan

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on January 06, 2021, 04:14:57 PM
Mr. Jim Donovan,
You started this build 5 months ago...and I missed it...so first we looked thru the build thread from start to finish.
Great modeling and craftsmanship. Sharing areas that were challenging is what it's all about.
The name change will do him proud. Looking forward to your next project.
Tommy
Wow thanks Tommy, you looked at the entire build? Appreciate the compliments. Hopefully the build thread will help the next person building this kit. I plan to see what can be done with landscaping and making the back more active. But that's for another time.

Jim D

Jim Donovan

Quote from: postalkarl on January 07, 2021, 02:56:36 AM
Hey Jim:

As I said earlier. I think you did A great job on this kit.

Karl.

Thanks Karl
Glad you were able to see its progress. Fun kit but ready for something new.

Jim D

Opa George

I'm a week late, but don't want to fail to add my congratulations on your wildly successful build of this kit.  I appreciate all of your notes and your build will be a valuable resource later.  Well done!

--Opa George

deemery

Thought you-all would like to see this prototype photo.

"Central Hotel in the town of Barnesboro, Cambria County (Pennsylvania.) The Hotel was built in 1893 and the location would be where Charlson's Furniture is today."

dave

Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Jim Donovan

Quote from: Opa George on January 15, 2021, 12:59:15 PM
I'm a week late, but don't want to fail to add my congratulations on your wildly successful build of this kit.  I appreciate all of your notes and your build will be a valuable resource later.  Well done!

--Opa George
Opa sorry for late thank you. I am glad you found the build thread useful, that is what I was hoping it would be for anyone that is going to build this kit. The video I was referred to helped but the guy seemed in a hurry so still had a lot of noodling to do as I went.

I find I am moving closer and closer to scratch building and this kit gave me a boast in my confidence to do so on some upcoming projects. Thanks again. Nice to know others think the building looks nice.

Jim

Jim Donovan

Dave, what a great photo, thank you for sharing. There is indeed a strong resemblance that the kit captures. Down the road I plan to scratch build a similar looking hotel that existed in Silver Springs, Florida at the turn of the century, well two centuries ago now  I guess.

Jim D

postalkarl

Hey Jim:

Looking good. Keep the pics flowing.

Karl

madharry

Well done Jim you did a brilliant job on this build. I have read the entire build in one sitting- (my wife checked I was not looking at something else ;D ).
Mike

Jim Donovan

Hi Mike;

I was just going though this build again to remember something I want to do on current scratchbuild. I find posting the thread more helpful for me then anyone else. I often do something that magically worked but then can't remember later exactly what I did. Anyway, I saw your post and wanted to say thank you. You are truly a master modeler, and one I refer to in my own efforts so I am truly honored. I hope things are getting better in the UK. It has been a tough year.

Jim