FOS Moscone Bail Bonds - 2021 Build Challenge

Started by ReadingBob, January 02, 2021, 12:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

Okay, let's get rolling on this one.  First thing I had to do was clean up some of the strip wood where bits and pieces of the dried out rubber band stuck to the wood.  It was relatively easy to scrape off the bigger chunks and then lightly sand any remaining stain.

I stained the strip wood with a brush using Hunterline Light Gray weathering mix.  There wasn't that much that needed to be stained so I didn't bother using my little bathtub to soak the strip wood.

Bracing the wall, particularly the long, lower walls, required cutting some horizontal braces to a rather precise length to fit in between vertical braces on each end.

I wanted to make sure I had them just right so they would allow the end wall to seat flush like it should.

After gluing the braces in place I weighed them down with a bock of marble and anything else with some weight to it until the glue took hold.

I cut the clapboard walls out of the carrier sheets using a single edge razor blade.

More in a moment... ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ReadingBob

To square up the edges of the clapboard walls (the laser cuts aren't perfectly square) I gave them a few swipes over an emery board.

To brace these walls I didn't cut the bracing material to size first.  I just applied a bead of glue along the strip wood that matched the length of the wall I was going to glue it to.

Gotta get your fingers dirty at some point.  I smooth out the bead of glue with my finger tip (and then wipe my fingertip on a paper towel) to cover the entire surface of the strip wood.

Then I position the strip wood on the back of the wall.  I used an angle to make sure it's right against the edge but not hanging over.  I only line up one end of the wall, typically the bottom, with the end of the strip wood.

After the glue sets I trim the brace to length using a single edge razor blade.

I followed the templates for bracing the walls but when I got to the last wall I didn't really have enough bracing material left to finish the job.  I know more will be needed for the roof cards later on as well.  So, time to raid my stash of strip wood.

More in a moment.... ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

The parts on the thinner carrier sheets also got removed using a single edge razor blade.  This was done to prep them for painting.

I also prepped the castings for painting by cleaning up any flash lines with a file or a sanding stick. The castings were pretty clean so this didn't take much effort.

I prefer to remove the windows/doors from the sprues prior to painting them.  Some prefer to paint them while attached to the sprues.  Guess what?  Both ways work.   ;D  I have a sprue cutter that works great for such things.

The only thing the sprue cutter doesn't work great for are the barrels.  The sprue is very thick.  An old pair of flush cut rail nippers gives me the leverage I need to easily remove the barrels from the sprues.

Next up I painted the inside of the walls black using a cheap craft store acrylic.  This helps prevent light from bleeding through the walls if you light up the structure (and I will be doing so) and also is hides the bracing, etc. if someone should be able to look in through a window.

Next up I stained the outside of the walls with the Hunterline Light Gray weathering mix.

More in a moment.... ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Just for the heck of it I used Hunterline Driftwood to stain the walls that make up the stairway.  Probably won't see the difference after the walls have been painted and weathered but I thought I'd try it.

I assembled the lower walls next.  One thing to be careful about here is the small roof in the front has to be attached as the walls are assembled.  There's no way to put it in place after the four walls have been put together.  The nice thing, though, is it acts as a square during the assembly.

You can see what I mean about the way it fits in there.  If I hadn't put it in during the assembly I'd have to rip things apart to add it later.

And finally the last end wall was glued in place.

That's all for this update.  Thanks for following along!  8)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

Keep It Rusty

Great work, Bob! I'm looking forward to the stucco! It really makes this kit, in my opinion.

PRR Modeler

Looks good Bob. It looks like you made a lot of progress.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

madharry

Great progress Bob. I have this kit so I can pick up all your great tips. Thanks.
Mike :)

Mark Dalrymple

ReadingBob

Quote from: Rusty Robot on January 11, 2021, 08:51:59 AM
Great work, Bob! I'm looking forward to the stucco! It really makes this kit, in my opinion.

Thank you Craig.  That'll be up next.  I'm going to experiment with crackling the paint on the stucco.  I may or may not do it.  All depends on how the experiment goes.  ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: PRR Modeler on January 11, 2021, 10:22:53 AM
Looks good Bob. It looks like you made a lot of progress.

Thanks Curt.  It sure feels like I'm making progress on this one faster than I did on the boat build.  I'm having fun with it.   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: madharry on January 11, 2021, 11:33:48 AM
Great progress Bob. I have this kit so I can pick up all your great tips. Thanks.
Mike :)

Thanks Mike!  I'm sure you'll do an outstanding job with this one.  Like I said to Curt I'm having fun with it.  It's a neat little kit.  You'll enjoy building it.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: mark dalrymple on January 11, 2021, 12:11:19 PM
Looking good, Bob.

Cheers, Mark.

Thanks Mark!  The stucco is coming up soon.  That'll make a big difference in how it looks.   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

Keep It Rusty

Quote from: ReadingBob on January 12, 2021, 07:47:01 AM

Thank you Craig.  That'll be up next.  I'm going to experiment with crackling the paint on the stucco.  I may or may not do it.  All depends on how the experiment goes.  ;)

As an alternative, should it not work, head over to your nearest hardware store and pickup a can of Rustoleum's "Stone Effect" rattle can spray paint. The beige color. It goes on like a perfect stucco.

nycjeff

Hello Bob, you are doing your usual fine job with this build. I too am looking forward to the stucco portion of the build. I have not done any stucco work as of yet and I'm anxious to see what you do.

Bob, I'm so sorry to hear about your mother, drive safe up into the cold country.    Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

ReadingBob

Quote from: Rusty Robot on January 12, 2021, 08:40:33 AM
Quote from: ReadingBob on January 12, 2021, 07:47:01 AM

As an alternative, should it not work, head over to your nearest hardware store and pickup a can of Rustoleum's "Stone Effect" rattle can spray paint. The beige color. It goes on like a perfect stucco.

Thanks Craig.  I've seen that before and it looks like it would do a great job but I've already applied the stucco.  More on that the next time I upload pictures and post and update.  What I'm experimenting with now is a couple of different types of 'crackle' to see if I can get the painted finish to look like it's cracked and chipping.  I've done it once before but it's been a while.  I may/may not do it here depending on how my experimentation goes.  It's a bit finicky.   ::)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net