FOS Moscone Bail Bonds - 2021 Build Challenge

Started by ReadingBob, January 02, 2021, 12:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

Quote from: PRR Modeler on January 31, 2021, 01:33:23 PM
It looks very good Bob.

Thank you Curt!  I'm hoping the Judge can weave this one into some his tales some day.   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ReadingBob

Quote from: nycjeff on January 31, 2021, 02:20:00 PM
Hey Bob, you are doing a great job on this build- as always. I learn so many new techniques from your threads. Can't wait to see how the stucco ends up.    Jeff

Thank you Jeff!  I could stop where I am with the stucco but I think I will attempt the crackle finish.  I've been experimenting with it.  It's a little bit iffy but this is supposed to be a challenge build so I'll challenge myself to do it.   :P
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

Oldguy

Can't wait to see how this comes out.  Paint, nail holes, then stain . . . hmmm.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

ReadingBob

Quote from: Oldguy on February 01, 2021, 09:38:39 AM
Can't wait to see how this comes out.  Paint, nail holes, then stain . . . hmmm.

When I remember to do it in that order that's my standard way of doing it.   ::)  I think the stain shrinks the nail holes an little bit and highlights them.  If the nail holes are added after the stain then they remain a little larger.  If the nail holes are added prior to the paint the paint can fill them up.  Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.   ;D 

Thanks for following along!  :) 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

Keep It Rusty

I'm the same way around, Bob. I always stain after adding the nail holes.

ReadingBob

Okay, so where was I?  Oh yeah.  I was applied stucco to a scrap piece of photo mounting board and then tried a couple different approaches to using Delta Crackle Medium and DecoArt One Step Crackle to see what worked best to get that cracked paint effect.  More on that in a bit.

While waiting for the experiment to dry a bit I started adding blinds and curtains to the windows.  I like the blinds printed on the one sheet so I cut them out a bit oversized and added glue around the edges to glue to the walls behind the windows.

I made sure to check them to see if I got them straight enough and raised to various levels.

And there's a wall with curtains and blinds in the lower windows.

More in a moment... :D

Then I started cutting out and applying curtains.  These were made up from a heavy duty paper napkin that came from a restaurant somewhere.

I glued the curtains in place.  I kept a few pretty open because I have an idea for something I'm going to add in one of the rooms later on.   ;)

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: Rusty Robot on February 23, 2021, 03:09:49 PM
I'm the same way around, Bob. I always stain after adding the nail holes.

Good to know Craig!  I've seen the work you do so I must be on the right track.   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Finally!  My favorite part of any build.  Assembling the walls.  This is when things really start to come together.  I used a square to keep things, well, square.  ::)

Okay.  Back to the crackle experiment.  When everything dried there was just a tiny patch of cracked paint on the left hand sample.  Barely visible.  I pondered whether or not I want to apply the Deco Art One Step Crackle to the stucco or just let them be the way they were.  I went ahead and did it but it wasn't really worth the effort.  There's a little crackle here and there but barely visible.  I used this stuff once before on a the Red Light District build and got the cracked paint effect albeit a bit out of scale and more noticeable.  Oh well.  In the end it didn't negatively affect anything.

Now for the sometimes challenging part.  A sign painted on with a stencil.  I used a black craft paint and sponged the paint on after dabbing the sponge on a sheet of scrap paper to remove most of the paint. Don't try for much coverage here or the paint will bleed under the stencil.  It took a while to get the lettering done.

The red arrow gave me more trouble then the lettering did.  First off, I should have masked the arrow off so I didn't get any black paint on it when doing the lettering.  It was kind of a pain to cover up that little bit of black when everything else was white.  It affected the tone of the red paint.  I also applied the red a little too heavy and had some bleed under the template.  Scrubbing off some of the excess with a fine point swab dipped in rubbing alcohol and then touching things up with a the white paint corrected the issue.  Some more weathering later on will make the sign looked faded and cover up any minor flaws.

Time to test fit the clapboard structure onto the stucco portion.  It fit pretty well but I couldn't quite get both side walls to sit flat.  One would but not the other.

I found I had to sand the bottom edge of the front of the structure just a wee bit to get it fit better.  The bottom edge rests on the lower roof.

More in a moment.... :)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

Looks like you are moving right along.

Karl

ReadingBob

I needed some copper for flashing so I painted a sheet of printer paper with some FolK Art Metallic Copper.  I'm finding I really like the Folk Art line of Metallic colors.

I cut the copper paper into strips and then dry brushed it with Polly Scale Penn Central green to represent some level of oxidation on the copper flashing.  The I glued it in place around the inside of the lower roof.  I also lined the parapet with copper paper..

I started making the roof top sign.  I applied the signs to a sheet of chipboard with 3M Transfer Tape and then cut them out.

I painted the back of the signs with black craft paint using a sponge and then colored the edges of the chipboard with a black Sharpie.

Jumping back to the main structure I added the trim along the top.  I glued it in place, longer than necessary, and then trimmed it fit by carefully cutting it (and not myself) by holding a scrap piece of bracing material against cutting it with a single edge razor blade.

I painted the underside and edge of the chipboard roof pieces with my trim color, white, and then added 3M Transfer Tape to the top side.

More in a moment.... :)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: postalkarl on February 23, 2021, 03:29:43 PM
Hey Bob:

Looks like you are moving right along.

Karl

Thanks Karl!  I'm not moving along at your speed but I'm getting there.  It's been a while since I posted an update.   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

I cut scale 3' foot strips of roofing material from some red Stoney Creek Designs rolled roofing material that I picked up at the Scranton EXPO a few years ago.  I was a bit hesitant to use the red over a green structure like this so I simply place a sheet on top of the structure and left it there for several days.  My workbench is in the living room so I saw it every day and eventually decided it wasn't a bad look.

Before applying the strips of roofing material I sanded one edge, from the back, to create a bit of jagged edge that will be at the bottom.  This is a bit tedious and messy but I like the effect even though it may be a bit overdone compared to real life.

Next I applied the rolled roofing to the roofs.  The 3M Transfer Tape makes this pretty easy.

I added the side stairway and then glued trim pieces to the top.  I found these miniature cloths pins somewhere in Hobby Lobby and thought they'd make great little clamps for something like this.  You can also see where I added gravel to the lower roof.  I brushed it with a thinned Elmer's White Glue and then sprinkled some Arizona Rock and Mineral Cinders over it.

That's all for today.  Time to build a core for the building to hold the lights.   8)

Thanks for following alone!

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ACL1504

Bob,

Fantastic build. The copper paint is a great idea for flashing. I'll definitely keep this info in mind.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Mark Dalrymple

Looking really nice, Bob.

Coming on a treat.

Cheers, Mark.

craftsmankits

Enjoying this build, and your idea for the stucco which I used on Bandit's Roost.  Love the window treatments.  Thanks for all the photos and updates.

Mark