Fos Scale Bandit's Roost Build

Started by craftsmankits, January 05, 2021, 10:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

craftsmankits

Thought I would share my build of of Fos Scale Models Bandit's Roost.

While not a complete start to finish.  I did break the box on 11/30/2020.  I planned to follow the building order of the instructions, but soon discovered I was missing the side walls to Vallon Paint.  So, I moved on to the Harrison and Rochelle portion of the kit. I decided to post this build since I encountered some issues that might help others when making the kit.  As per usual, Fos Scale instructions are rather sparse so I'll try to include the 'missing' areas and errors I find within the instructions.  I'll also try to include the paints, techniques, and misc. info that helped me along.  All pictures provided come from my iPhone.

I didn't take pictures during the initial stage.  I had already painted the main walls to Harrison and Rochelle, and added the banner sign along the tops of the walls.

I used DecoArt Celery Green DA208 for the main walls adding the paint like I might do when dry brushing over two or three layers of medium India Ink with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol.

craftsmankits

I applied the banner signs using thinned matte Mod Podge.  Coating the building surface as well as the paper sign.  I used 220 grit sandpaper to thin the sign before applying.  Then used smooth toothpicks to get the sign into the groves of the wood.

vinceg

Hey, CK. Looks good so far. The wall color looks great. No way would I have thought that a celery coat would look that muted. Guess the inkahol dulls it down very nicely.

Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

craftsmankits

At this point, I had already assembled the walls, and installed the windows.  I decided to avoid window treatments.  I added some weathering powders to the walls in small amounts in various areas to add a little color.  I like the subtle variations to give it some added character.

craftsmankits

The following is a photo of the rear door.  After priming the door with Rustoleum Cameo.  I applied weathering powders over a base coat of DecoArt Charcoal Grey DA088.  I apply the powders directly over the wet paint.  You to have to work fast, and the effect may be too much the taste of some modelers.  I clear coated with Krylon Matte Finish, then added two thin coats of AK Interactive Heavy Chipping AK 089.  I coated the door with MSP Core Colors Honed Steel 09953 and let it dry.  I then applied some water with a brush, and removed the paint with a stiff brush and a tooth pick.  It was my first time using chipping fluid, and thought it came out okay.

craftsmankits

Here's a photo of the finished door, minus window glazing.

craftsmankits

Fast forward to the roof.  I purchased 50 sheets of black Tru Ray construction paper from Hobby Lobby for $1.99.  Using the Jason Jensen method, I lightly sprayed Krylon Rust Preventive grey primer 7517 over a sheet of the black construction paper, cut it into strips, then lightly sanded the surface in a circular motion.  Since this is a flat roof, it didn't require sanding in a downward motion, nor distressing the edges as Jason does in his video.  I butted the strips together, then using Formula 560 canopy glue, mixed 50/50 with Decoart Charcoal Grey DA088.  I then added the tar lines.

Keep It Rusty

Excellent work. That door is spectacular

craftsmankits

This next shot includes the roof caps.  Doug used 10 x 2's for the ridge caps, but I wanted to add 'copper' flashing over the ridge caps.  I used a paper maybe two to three times the thickness of regular paper.  Sorry, I don't know the brand.  I folded the paper over a of piece square styrene, then used a Bronze colored sharpie over the front and back of the paper.  After it dried.  I applied thinned washes of MSP Core Color Copper 09304.  Use thin coats.  You could also use any craft paint similar to Americana Indian Turquoise DA307 for the same effect. I used two or three coats over the ridge caps, and the corner pieces where the slate shingles meet.

Dennis Bourey

That's a really nice looking kit.Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

craftsmankits

Next up is the boiler house.  This is where I found the back wall section for the boiler house to be too long.  You'll notice in the picture that it extends too far.  I later cut this portion away.

craftsmankits

These are the boiler house walls and window sections stained with India Ink and alcohol.

craftsmankits

Boiler house walls were painted white with craft paint, and the windows painted white.  I wanted to represent windows that were metal framed.  I didn't prime the windows, I stippled on the white paint, then added a wash of Winsor and Newton 552 Raw Sienna thinned with odorless Turpenoid.  I used a toothpick to add small amounts of Winsor and Newton Burnt Umber 076, and let it blend together.  I also scored the area that will be cut away from the back boiler window section that was too long.   

craftsmankits

Here's another look at the window frames, with the extra portion removed.

craftsmankits

This is a test fitting of the boiler house to the rear section of the Harrison and Rochelle building.  The steel freight door is installed on the main building, along with the small tarpaper add on to the right.  I used the same Jason Jenson method for the roof on the extension from the main building.  I used a red primer, but didn't weather it drastically.  I kept it low key.  I don't have any in process shots during that portion.  I wasn't sure I would list this build in the first place.