Fos Scale Bandit's Roost Build

Started by craftsmankits, January 05, 2021, 10:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

craftsmankits

That's all for today.  I realized it's getting late.  Gotta work tomorrow.  Hope you're enjoying my journey. 

Thanks for the replies so far.

Mark

tom.boyd.125

Mark,
See you spent a few hours on this FOS kit. Nice start !
Will look forward to more updates. Your profile said Batavia, Illinois...we lived in McHenry between 20 and 30 years back.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

GPdemayo

Looking forward to seeing you work thru the kit problems.  ;)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Beautiful modeling and how to instructions for the paint. I love the back door.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Opa George

Beautiful work and a very nice (and fast) start on this magnificent kit.  I did a build thread on it last year and it remains my favorite kit overall.  You are certainly doing it justice.  I also noticed the oversized boiler house wall and had to cut it down to size.

--Opa George

ReadingBob

Very nice indeed.  I just started playing around with that Heavy Chipping Fluid myself.  Interesting stuff. You did a great job with it.   :)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

craftsmankits

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on January 06, 2021, 01:20:57 AM
Mark,
See you spent a few hours on this FOS kit. Nice start !
Will look forward to more updates. Your profile said Batavia, Illinois...we lived in McHenry between 20 and 30 years back.
Tommy

Yep, but I'm planning my escape from Illinois.  Lived here my whole life, but the taxes are killing me.  It's crazy.

craftsmankits

Quote from: PRR Modeler on January 06, 2021, 09:24:04 AM
Beautiful modeling and how to instructions for the paint. I love the back door.

Thanks, I'm new to the chipping fluid.  Always interested in new methods, so many options left for me to discover.

craftsmankits

Quote from: Opa George on January 06, 2021, 04:47:24 PM
Beautiful work and a very nice (and fast) start on this magnificent kit.  I did a build thread on it last year and it remains my favorite kit overall.  You are certainly doing it justice.  I also noticed the oversized boiler house wall and had to cut it down to size.

--Opa George

Thanks, this kit is my winter project.  One of many actually, but this is the biggest dog for the season.

craftsmankits

Quote from: ReadingBob on January 06, 2021, 05:29:30 PM
Very nice indeed.  I just started playing around with that Heavy Chipping Fluid myself.  Interesting stuff. You did a great job with it.   :)

Thanks.  I've had the chipping fluid sitting around for some time, and finally put it to use.

craftsmankits

Here's a shot of the Harrison and Rochelle sign.  I used the Decoart Charcoal Grey as a base, and applied weathering powders to the back of the sign while the paint was still wet.  I did 3 or 4 letters at a time.

craftsmankits

I sealed the back with clear flat, then placed the sign upon some blue painters tape.  I applied a finish of white paint to the front of the sign, and weathered with the Winsor and Newton oils mentioned previously.  Since Doug didn't provide a template for applying the sign without the little tabs being attached.  I removed the sign from the tape, secured the tape, removed the letters, and used the tape as my template to apply each letter individually.  I touched up the paint as needed.   

craftsmankits

Here is the building as it stands.  I obviously left out some steps in-between.  I extended the shingles towards the very front of the building, and used 2 x 6's to trim around the base of the tower.  Two things that Doug did not do.  I felt this was a more believable method of construction.  I would use caution when using the delicate lattice pieces that make up the tower.  I would prime both sides, and ensure every bit is secured with canopy glue, super glue or similar, since water based paint could potentially warp them.

This happened to me, as some of the pieces warped when I applied my thinned aged 'copper' washes.  They mostly returned to shape.  I utilized the same bronze sharpie, and wash method I used for the copper ridge caps.  My thin washes warped the pieces since I failed to secure them entirely.  Lesson learned.

I used some brass wire to help secure the stack on top of the boiler house.  It stands roughly 13 scale feet.  I included some small pads where the wires connected to the roof.  Not completely finished with weathering, but close.  I also attached the sign, chimney, some brass 'vents', and the walkup made up of mixed color 2 x 10's.

craftsmankits

This is the 'business' end of the structure.  No signage yet.

NEMMRRC

Groovy.

Thats a huge complex. You must have a large layout for it.

Jaime