Fos Scale Bandit's Roost Build

Started by craftsmankits, January 05, 2021, 10:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

craftsmankits

craftsmankits

Up next is Erickson Livery.  Another simple structure that took longer than expected, since I upgraded the overhang to Campbell's corrugated rather than the canvas roof called for in the directions.  I like the idea of the canvas roof, but not for this application.  I made the extension larger than called out, and added a small porch in back.  I also painted the right hand side wall, just in case I decide to keep it apart from the machine shop and apartments portion of the kit.  I've left all the other signage for now, may add some later.  I may add further weathering as well.

craftsmankits

This is a view from the rear.  I may add some railings, but am thinking that this little porch may receive some drop-offs from delivery trucks and such, and may be better off if left 'open'.

postalkarl

Hey Craftsmankits:

Looking just great so far. Great job on the stucco.

Karl

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Opa George

Mark,
Outstanding results on the gas station and the livery--well done.  I had a bit of trouble with the stucco when I built the gas station and my result was a bit heavy-handed. Yours looks fantastic.  Bandits Roost is still one of my favorite builds for overall enjoyment of construction, and it just drips with character.  I like your modifications.  This kit really invites creativity.

Enjoying following.
--Opa George

ACL1504

Mark,

Fantastic job on the gas and livery buildings. They look perfect.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

craftsmankits

Quote from: Opa George on February 14, 2021, 04:49:22 PM
Mark,
Outstanding results on the gas station and the livery--well done.  I had a bit of trouble with the stucco when I built the gas station and my result was a bit heavy-handed. Yours looks fantastic.  Bandits Roost is still one of my favorite builds for overall enjoyment of construction, and it just drips with character.  I like your modifications.  This kit really invites creativity.

Enjoying following.
--Opa George
Quote from: postalkarl on February 13, 2021, 11:16:50 PM
Hey Craftsmankits:

Karl
Quote from: ACL1504 on February 14, 2021, 05:19:41 PM
Mark,

Fantastic job on the gas and livery buildings. They look perfect.

Tom  ;D
Quote from: postalkarl on February 13, 2021, 11:16:50 PM
Hey Craftsmankits:

Karl

Thanks guys.  I'm enjoying this build.  I'm still missing two walls to Vallon Paint, having a tough time getting Fos Scale to ship the missing walls.  I purchased the kit direct from them, and understand they are busy, but not one return email.  I'm thinking my emails ended up in their spam folder or something.  Will try them again.  I'm working on some wall colors for the machine shop and apartments.  Hoping my phone behaves so I can do more in progress updates.

Mark

madharry

Mark,
Stunning work. Thanks for all the tips I will use them when I come to build mine.Mike :)

Opa George

Quote from: craftsmankits on February 14, 2021, 08:33:55 PM
Thanks guys.  I'm enjoying this build.  I'm still missing two walls to Vallon Paint, having a tough time getting Fos Scale to ship the missing walls.  I purchased the kit direct from them, and understand they are busy, but not one return email.  I'm thinking my emails ended up in their spam folder or something.  Will try them again.  I'm working on some wall colors for the machine shop and apartments.  Hoping my phone behaves so I can do more in progress updates.

Mark

Mark, as much as I love Doug's kits, his customer service can be lacking.  I had the same experience with a missing wall on "The Terminal" kit, which I also bought direct from him when it came out.  I finally gave up on emails and just created the wall myself from material on hand--I was lucky that it was a very simple and plain wall (it was the rear wall of the restaurant).  But it bugged me that I could not get a response when I followed his instructions for getting missing parts.

To be fair, I did not place a phone call. I have heard that is the best way to contact him. Perhaps I should have done that, but as a business, he should at least check his email spam folder once in a while.

OK, that is my one and only gripe allowed for the year! ;)
--Opa George

ReadingBob

Quote from: Opa George on February 15, 2021, 08:07:03 AM

Mark

Mark, as much as I love Doug's kits, his customer service can be lacking.  I had the same experience with a missing wall on "The Terminal" kit, which I also bought direct from him when it came out.  I finally gave up on emails and just created the wall myself from material on hand--I was lucky that it was a very simple and plain wall (it was the rear wall of the restaurant).  But it bugged me that I could not get a response when I followed his instructions for getting missing parts.

To be fair, I did not place a phone call. I have heard that is the best way to contact him. Perhaps I should have done that, but as a business, he should at least check his email spam folder once in a while.

--Opa George

When I built the Red Light District I found a wall (with a bunch of other parts embedded in it) was missing from the kit and e-mailed Doug.  I got the missing wall first try.  I seem to recall in the instructions, or perhaps it was on his website, that he noted put something to the effect of MISSING PARTS in the subject line (I forget the exact wording).

My concern with things like this is that I have some larger kits on the shelf and it may (correction - will) be years until I get around to building them.  I don't open them up and inventory them to see if everything that should be there is there.  I suppose I should do that.  It's probably easier to missing parts ASAP rather than years later. 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

GPdemayo

Great job Mark.....smaller structures with heaps of character.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Opa George

Quote from: ReadingBob on February 15, 2021, 08:43:51 AM
I seem to recall in the instructions, or perhaps it was on his website, that he noted put something to the effect of MISSING PARTS in the subject line (I forget the exact wording).

Yep, did that: emailed with the subject "Missing Parts," twice, second time about two weeks later as a follow up.  That's why I think it went to spam and he missed it. My kit still built up nicely; it turned out to be not that big of a deal.

craftsmankits

Mark

--Opa George

Thanks Opa George.  I did follow his instructions, but haven't received one return email.  I may be forced to call after all.

craftsmankits

Quote from: ReadingBob on February 15, 2021, 08:43:51 AM

Mark

--Opa George

When I built the Red Light District I found a wall (with a bunch of other parts embedded in it) was missing from the kit and e-mailed Doug.  I got the missing wall first try.  I seem to recall in the instructions, or perhaps it was on his website, that he noted put something to the effect of MISSING PARTS in the subject line (I forget the exact wording).

My concern with things like this is that I have some larger kits on the shelf and it may (correction - will) be years until I get around to building them.  I don't open them up and inventory them to see if everything that should be there is there.  I suppose I should do that.  It's probably easier to missing parts ASAP rather than years later.

I'm in that same boat.  Too many kits, and maybe not enough life to finish them all, especially with all the new kits that end up being something I must have.