Fos Scale Bandit's Roost Build

Started by craftsmankits, January 05, 2021, 10:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

craftsmankits

Quote from: madharry on February 15, 2021, 04:14:53 AM
Mark,
Stunning work. Thanks for all the tips I will use them when I come to build mine.Mike :)

Thanks Mike, I'd like to think I get better with each successive kit.  I'm sure we all do.

Mark

craftsmankits

Quote from: ACL1504 on February 14, 2021, 05:19:41 PM
Mark,

Fantastic job on the gas and livery buildings. They look perfect.

Tom  ;D

Thanks Tom, you are the post master.  I've enjoyed watching your progress and updates.  Mark

craftsmankits

Okay, I jumped ahead a bit.  I find the walls to be the easiest portion of the builds.  Here are the walls for the Machine shop and apartments.  I used a different approach for the steel door to the machine shops.  I primed the door with Rustoleum Cameo, stippled on MSP Master Series Paint Honed Steel over the entire door.  Applied small amounts of DecoArt Charcoal Grey DA088, overthe lower portion of the door, then quickly applied weathering powders with rust tones over the paint.  After this dried, I applied rust tone weathering powders over the entire door in a thin film, then stippled on some white acrylic paint, and I mean, very small amounts in the areas shown, then after it dried, lightly coated the door with weathering powders a final time.  I thought it came out pretty nice.

I applied small amounts of rust colored weathering powder over the nail holes, and if it appears a little harsh in the photos, it's easily fixed by spraying some Dust Off, compressed gas dust remover used for computers.  I find this product, and similar products invaluable if you have second thoughts about over application of weathering powders.  Not much help for removing excess Pan Pastels though.

craftsmankits

Forgot to mention that I used three colors for the green walls.  I stippled on Folkart 458 Sap Green, covered with a drybrush of Folkart 5456 Mossy Meadow, then stippled Folkart 2427 as a final coat.  Followed up with a drybrush of white to bring out the high areas.  Attaching the angled portion required the use of the foundation pieces, but I find the foundation pieces to be a little short.  I probably won't use them, but they do serve a purpose for aligning the walls, and eventually, for cutting the 1/16 x 3/16 wood that fits atop the gable walls.

The angled walls must be sanded along the edges in order for them to fit properly.  This did take some time, but is well within the reach of most modelers.  Also remember to leave any bracing away from the angled portions where it would protrude and interfere with the roof.  It's an easy mistake to make.   

craftsmankits

Getting back to the trim boards that lay atop the gables.  In order for them to fit evenly along the tops of the walls, you'll have to cut in some notches.  I've included a picture of one of the boards with the notch.  This only applies to the angled end, and should be performed on both sides.  I should also include that when placing the 'Edward Corner - ROPE' sign to the end angled wall, that I placed the sign even with the bottom of where the trim will be.  It looks 'right' when done this way, at least to me.  I also added the corner trim to the long walls, and not to the angled portion.  I filed and cut the end wall to fit with the already installed long walls.

Also, for ease of construction, I finished the squared portion first, then added the side walls over the foundation as a guide.  I taped the foundation portions to my work surface, and went from there.  I applied the end wall of the angled portion last.

craftsmankits

I applied the trim boards, using the foundation for the angled portion as a cutting guide for the ends.  Now, on to the roofs.  I'm not completely sure how I want to finish them.  Here's a final shot of the applied trim boards.  I also placed on the Callahan Machining sign.  I weathered that sign along with the Beech-Nut, and Rope sign with pan pastel white, applied with a fan brush.  I may apply some more weathering, but I think this is a good start.  Now, if I can just get Doug to answer my request for those two missing walls, I can move on to Vallon Paint and the burger joint.

Mark

postalkarl

Hey Mark:

Looks just beautiful so far. Like the colors and the signs look great.

Karl

Janbouli

You're doing great Mark , signs and colors are superb.
I love photo's, don't we all.

ReadingBob

She's turning out to be quite a beauty.  No doubt about that.  Love it!   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Opa George

Mark, beautiful work. Of all the "super" kits, this is my favorite.

craftsmankits

Quote from: Janbouli on February 22, 2021, 05:30:41 AM
You're doing great Mark , signs and colors are superb.

Thank you very much.  Sorry for the delay, house hunting is tiring.

craftsmankits

Quote from: postalkarl on February 21, 2021, 11:37:09 PM
Hey Mark:

Looks just beautiful so far. Like the colors and the signs look great.

Karl

Thanks Karl, I've found time hard to come by lately.  Mark

craftsmankits

Quote from: ReadingBob on February 22, 2021, 07:03:38 AM
She's turning out to be quite a beauty.  No doubt about that.  Love it!   :D

Thanks Bob, I'm back after a layoff.

craftsmankits

Quote from: Opa George on February 22, 2021, 09:13:37 AM
Mark, beautiful work. Of all the "super" kits, this is my favorite.

Thanks George, This is a great kit, and Doug came through with the missing walls for Vallon Paint.  I've got some updates after a long lay off.  Mark

craftsmankits

For anyone following along, life can get in the way.  House hunting in Indiana is rough going.  As soon as they list, they go.  Anyway, back to the task at hand.  I found the time to complete the roof on Callahan Machining.  I didn't have any issues worth mentioning, and Doug came through with the missing two walls for Vallon Paint, so the buildings portion will be completed, hopefully, by late April.  Here is a photo of the roofing strips made with construction paper.  I sprayed them lightly with grey auto primer, then sanded them with 120 grit sandpaper, similar to what Jason Jenson has demonstrated.  I wanted to doing something different with the roofs, but found the angled portion got in the way of anything unusual.  You'll also see my cutting jig taped to the cutting mat. I used it for the angles on the angled portions of the roof.  It worked out pretty well.