Fos Scale Bandit's Roost Build

Started by craftsmankits, January 05, 2021, 10:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

craftsmankits

While not the best picture.  This shows the applied shingles to the long side of the building.  I applied a single wash of alcohol and India ink, then a single wash of Hunterline Greige.  I worried the washes might loosen the mod podge, but had no problems.  This was prior to adding a drybrush of Linen, followed by a light drybrush of white craft paint.

craftsmankits

Due to some concerns about the ability of the mod podge to hold up to the washes.  As insurance, I applied a thin bead of canopy glue #560 along the top edge of the shingles.  You can see this thin bead along the top edge of the door side of the building, before I cut off the excess shingles.  You'll also see my test sheet of shingles on a cardboard sheet, to ensure they would hold up to the alcohol washes. 

craftsmankits

Next up.  The kit called for corrugated siding, but I decided to try something different.  I wanted to use cedar shake shingles.  I have a Scotty Mason DVD featuring Brian Nolan where he used Sierra Scale Models Cedar shingles.  I used #110 shingles for the sides of the burger joint, using the method outlined by Brian Nolan by using a brand new #11 blade and a toothpick.  After cutting the shingles, and laying then out in a pile in front of me, I laid down a thin layer of Elmer's wood glue and applied the shingles starting at the bottom.  I was able to pick up on Brian Nolan's method  fairly quickly.

I found the wood glue annoying, since it seemed to be drying too fast for my taste, and switched to matt Mod Podge, and allowed the shingles to dry overnight.  This picture shows the door side, with shingles applied, and a light dry brush of linen, followed by a dry brush of white craft paint.  I tried to stagger the shingles, but some line up anyway.

craftsmankits

In order to give it some depth.  I applied a pan pastel, in a dark grey underneath the shingle edges, I also applied some green pan pastel at the bottom.  I avoided black, since I thought it might be too stark.  The dark grey worked out pretty well to my eye.

craftsmankits

craftsmankits

Here's a shot of the long wall, with the roof card applied, and window installed.

craftsmankits

Vallon paint called out for a tarpaper roof, but I changed it up, replacing it with Builders In Scale ribbed seam metal roofing, #531.

After cutting the sheets to size.  I applied three coats of grey auto primer.

craftsmankits

Next, I stippled on some MSP Core Colors 09053 honed steel over the panels.

craftsmankits

I applied some rust colored weathering powders over the panels, then sealed them with a mist of Krylon Crystal Matte Flat.

craftsmankits

After assembling Vallon Paint, I used a sponge, and applied a light layer of Winsor & Newton Artist Oil burnt umber over the bottom edges of the panels.  I then added rust colored weathering powders directly onto the oil paint.  Since the oil paint takes time to dry, I speed up the process by applying another coat of Krylon flat.

I forgot to take a picture during that stage.  This picture shows the applied panels to Vallon Paint, and the upcoming panels for the short side of the roof to Vallon Paint. 

craftsmankits

This is where Vallon Paint stands today.  I added the opposite roof, attached the burger joint, and applied a tar paper roof with some weathering to the burger joint.  I added the chimney to Vallon Paint after applying the roof.  I was able to cut the Builders In Scale roofing in place, but the roof was well braced.  I wouldn't suggest trying to cut the metal roofing material in place without the roof being well braced.

craftsmankits

Here's a final shot before I call it a night.

Zephyrus52246

Looking great so far.  Two questions.  On the cedar shakes, did you apply the Pan pastels with a brush or one of the sponges/tools?  Also, does spraying the Krylon Flat over the oil paint really help it dry?  I'd think it'd make it more difficult to cure as it's now sealed.  I like how the standing seam roofing looks and my present build has one, so I'm going to try out your technique.   Thanks for the tips. 

Jeff

Opa George

Mark, very nice job on Vallon Paint. I think the prototype structure it is based on was a big part of Doug's inspiration for the overall kit. You have captured it well.  I really like the cedar shake shingles on the small restaurant. Very striking and well done.  I seem to remember that small structure causing me a bit of trouble in fitting the walls, although in the end it turned out well.

I'm really enjoying following along.

--Opa George

GPdemayo

Great job with the shakes Mark..... 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL