Fos Scale Bandit's Roost Build

Started by craftsmankits, January 05, 2021, 10:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

craftsmankits

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on March 28, 2021, 07:32:45 AM
Looking great so far.  Two questions.  On the cedar shakes, did you apply the Pan pastels with a brush or one of the sponges/tools?  Also, does spraying the Krylon Flat over the oil paint really help it dry?  I'd think it'd make it more difficult to cure as it's now sealed.  I like how the standing seam roofing looks and my present build has one, so I'm going to try out your technique.   Thanks for the tips. 

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I use a brush to apply the pan pastels.  I rarely use a sponge.  I used a sponge when working on a tall chimney from Bar Mills, and some brick work on a SRMW kit.  As for spraying the Krylon Flat over the oil paint.  I apply a small amount of oil paint, and allow it to hold the weathering powders in place.  The powders are already 'drying' the paint, the Krylon merely finishes the job.  Of course, if there are 'blobs' of oil paint, the Krylon, or Dullcote probably won't fully seal the surface.  Hope this helps.

Here's a picture of my Cundy Cannery diorama with the aforementioned chimney.  I did this diorama as 'filler' when I was involved with a SRMW kit.  This is also the first time I took pictures of one of my dioramas outside.

Mark

craftsmankits

Quote from: Opa George on March 28, 2021, 08:10:13 AM
Mark, very nice job on Vallon Paint. I think the prototype structure it is based on was a big part of Doug's inspiration for the overall kit. You have captured it well.  I really like the cedar shake shingles on the small restaurant. Very striking and well done.  I seem to remember that small structure causing me a bit of trouble in fitting the walls, although in the end it turned out well.

I'm really enjoying following along.

--Opa George

Thanks George, it's been fun, the real trick will be placing all these together in a diorama.  Mark

craftsmankits

Quote from: GPdemayo on March 28, 2021, 09:14:22 AM
Great job with the shakes Mark..... 8)

Thanks, this was my first time with the shingles.  Not as difficult as I thought it might be.  I've used Bar Mills shingle sheets in the past, and have enjoyed the results from their product as well.

Mark

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

ReadingBob

The finish on that standing seam roof is absolutely wonderful.  Not that everything else isn't wonderfully done.  It's all looking great.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Mark Dalrymple

Looks great, Mark.  Beautiful work.

Cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

craftsmankits

Many thanks to Bob, Mark and Karl.  Here is a very rough outline of where the structures are headed.  I started to carve out some foam, and fit the buildings.

craftsmankits

I've decided to make the base for each of the larger structures, and bring them together when appropriate.  I used Mig Acrylic Concrete Texture directly over the foam.  No problems with adhesion at this point.  Though, when trying to cut in some cracks, there was some give due to the foam being so 'soft'.  So I avoided introducing any cracking, though I do believe it's possible to do so over the foam base.

craftsmankits

Here's a shot of Vallon paint with the burger sign applied.  I'll be updating when I can, but with spring, and yardwork coming, attention to this project will suffer.  I'll be using roughly the same placement of the buildings as Doug designed it.  But, I will avoiding the open area between Harrison and Rochelle and the annex.  I'm also placing the road further away from the machine shop and apartments.  The steep grade of the road in Doug's diorama could result in older cars coming to a stop, since Model T's and other early cars relied on gravity to supply fuel, and steep grades could cause them to quickly run out of gas.

postalkarl

Hey Buddy:

Looking just beautiful.

Karl

ACL1504

I'm in awe of this build, wow. I need to shut my mouth and stop drooling. Just a fantastic build. I never realized Bandit's Roost was that size.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

tom.boyd.125

Mark,
Your build is looking fantastic !
Thanks for sharing the updates.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

craftsmankits

Quote from: postalkarl on April 04, 2021, 07:50:20 PM
Hey Buddy:

Looking just beautiful.

Karl

Thanks Karl, having a great time with this kit.

Mark