SRMW Retirement Build Challenge - 2021 updates

Started by tom.boyd.125, January 06, 2021, 01:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom.boyd.125

Rather than start another kit now, back in the summer of 2014...months before age 65...we started working on a large number of red boxes instead of looking at them on the shelf.
This thread will look at a number of builds and give information about each one. Hope you enjoy this journey.
Lets start with the main plaster building of SRMW # 120 Threadwell Textile. All window openings were opened up in the walls with a large sewing needle held in a pin vise. Krylon gray spray primer was used on those four walls. A thin wash of beige craft paint was applied to the walls as a mortar wash. White craft paint and a color called Apple Barrel Tuscan Teal was used for the trim. Another craft paint Apple Barrel Granite Grey was used on the front and sides of the dormers. Pencil lines were drawn on the roof cards to keep the Campbell shingles straight. Windows were all glazed with Micro Krystal Clear.
Here's the photos:
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

ReadingBob

Looks like fun!  I think I've only tackled one SRMW kit so this will be interesting to me.  Thanks for sharing Tommy!  ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ACL1504

Tommy,

Nicely done. I've built two of the SRMW kits. They aren't quickies to do but are well worth the time involved.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Tommy

Great thread! I will be following along.  My current build is red box number 5 for me with at least that many still on the shelf.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

GPdemayo

Looks like you have a ton of work ahead Tommy.....I'll be looking in.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

madharry

I've built six with another 10 to go..............Very clean work Tom. Well done!
Mike

NEMMRRC

Groovy.

South River kits are great fun. Glad to see your builds on the forum.

Jaime

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

very nicely done. Can't wait for some more pictures.

Karl

tom.boyd.125

Thanks...Bob, Tom, John, Gregory, Curt, Mike, Jaime and Karl for the positive comments...
Here is a set of photos of how the plaster walls were treated.
1. Plaster walls sprayed with primer and other painted details...also drilled the holes for the NWB castings while try were flat...always use a double folded paper towel for a cushion.
2. Apple Barrel Brown Oxide dry brush to tone down all the stone wall areas , the apple barrel sandstone and other colors, etc.
3. Craft paint Beige wash being applied view 1...first coat...
4. Craft paint Beige wash being applied view 2...we did 3 coats of the thin wash...let dry one hour between...
5. Final wall weathered and ready for raising after the windows are installed...back of walls pained a black craft paint to seal them...

Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

NEMMRRC

Groovy.

Do you prefer the plaster or the resin castings?

Jaime

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Keep It Rusty

Finger lickin' good! These castings are wonderful and you are doing them justice!

tom.boyd.125

Quote from: NEMMRRC on January 09, 2021, 08:09:16 AM
Groovy.

Do you prefer the plaster or the resin castings?

Jaime
Like the plaster castings more only because if I leave the resin dust on my hands too long from sanding a rash develops....sometimes have to wear non-latex gloves to work with it.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com