SRMW Retirement Build Challenge - 2021 updates

Started by tom.boyd.125, January 06, 2021, 01:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

craftsmankits

Looking good Tommy. 

This kit, (Delabarre Woolens) was my first attempt at large craftsman style kit.  Started in 2013, and finished in 2014.  I remember having problems with the Delabarre foundation.  The foundation walls weren't long enough on one side, so I had to brace the gap, and hide the space with some wood, which I planned to support some electrical equipment.  Bob's instructions for the complete diorama, and construction, were a great introduction to making these types of kits.

Mark

craftsmankits

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on October 30, 2021, 12:46:09 AM
Quote from: craftsmankits on October 29, 2021, 10:39:38 PM
Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on October 27, 2021, 12:10:32 PM
Quote from: craftsmankits on October 25, 2021, 10:22:03 PM
Looking good.  The Cambridge Crossing kit from SRMW was my inspiration into building craftsman style kits.  Bob had displayed his kits in Milwaukee the year that kit came out.  I took pictures, but didn't purchase it until many years later.  I'm saving it.  Looking forward to your continued progress with this particular kit, and any issues may find during construction.

Mark

Mark,
Will take photos when I install the windows and clapboard. Figured if the dormers could be finished with OV Hooker and the Threadwell Textile before this station...it should go easy.
I also attended that same show in Milwaukee when BVG had his dioramas there...Lamson & Son was also on display correct ???
Tommy

Hi Tommy,

You know?  I don't remember seeing the Lamson kit there, I was so taken by the Cambridge Crossing Kit, that I may have overlooked it.  It may be lingering in the background of the few photos I took.  I was trying to find the photos tonight, but didn't have any luck. 

Mark

Mark, I do remember BVG coming to Milwaukee with some dioramas but can't recall The Cambridge Crossing there...just the reverse of what you recall...remember Lamson because it was not purchased when it was first released and after seeing it...now have one.
Maybe will email him to see if that was his only trip there, but do remember George Sellios at Rosemont Illinois in 1976 at the NMRA National with the #170 sawmill on display that was built
by Gil Freitag...only attended the vendor show then.
Tommy

Hi Tommy,

Well, I found those pictures when Bob Van Gelder was in Milwaukee in the late 90's, and in the background, behind Cambridge Crossing, is Lamson and Goodnow.  You were right.

Mark

tom.boyd.125

Quote from: ACL1504 on November 26, 2021, 10:07:51 AM
Tom,

This is one of my favorite build threads. I love the look of the brick and mortar in the above photos, well done.

Tom  ;D

Tom,
Thanks for the positive comments. The method provided by Dick Elwell came out really nice. Good luck on your surgery Monday next week.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

tom.boyd.125

Quote from: craftsmankits on November 26, 2021, 08:37:37 PM
Looking good Tommy. 

This kit, (Delabarre Woolens) was my first attempt at large craftsman style kit.  Started in 2013, and finished in 2014.  I remember having problems with the Delabarre foundation.  The foundation walls weren't long enough on one side, so I had to brace the gap, and hide the space with some wood, which I planned to support some electrical equipment.  Bob's instructions for the complete diorama, and construction, were a great introduction to making these types of kits.

Mark

Mark,
Thanks for sharing those photos you found of BVG's diorama builds from when he drove to Milwaukee a long time ago. The Lamson and Cambridge kits were both worth seeing in person.
Best part of that trip from Chicago, there was no mention of him being there !
Here'a a quick view of SRMW # 340 doing a dry fit with the clapboard walls sitting on top of the resin foundation.
Notice I did take a X-ACTO saw and cut out a section of the brick wall for a new metal casting door purchased from Best.
Dick Elwell did that on his layout but also changed another set of the brick resin walls around too, but did not copy his build exactly.
All the windows of this kit were spray painted with Rustoleum Flat White 2X paint & primer. The clapboard walls were done with a 20 percent diluted Slate Grey craft paint with full strength Dove Grey craft paint dry brushed on top of that, just like in the instructions Bob provided in the kit.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

tom.boyd.125

Mark,
The hardest part of that SRMW build for me was painting the laser cut clerestories openings in white trim with a 3/0 brush.
First spray painted that wall part with a darker primer grey...and then slowly do the white outline trim for each small window with a 3/0 brush using white craft paint...and be neat about it.
All other resin brick and stone walls in the SRMW # 340 Delabarre kit were treated with that DAP Fast N Final Lightweight Spackle for the mortar like mentioned in the foundation photos.
Here'a a few reference photos taken.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

postalkarl

MAP

Mark

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

tom.boyd.125

Quote from: postalkarl on December 04, 2021, 10:56:59 AM
Hey Tim:

The bouillon's looks just great.

Karl

Karl,
Thanks for that bouillon's comment. Need to make some soup to keep warm with the zero temps coming tomorrow.
Figured you would say something like ... it's straight like a USPS coil stamp not a perforated stamp...
Keep building and enjoying the retirement too.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

tom.boyd.125

Quote from: MAP on December 05, 2021, 05:22:53 AM
Great work on this kit Tom!

Thanks Mark,
There is more to share soon like the photos from the SRMW # 240 diesel house kit.
Always use those longer sandwich style toothpicks here to apply the Micro Crystal Clear to glaze the windows and reach for a new one every 10 to 12 panes.
Prevents bubbles by getting a clean applicator all the time so there is no dry glue buildup on them.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

tom.boyd.125

Quote from: PRR Modeler on December 05, 2021, 09:08:30 AM
Very nice job on the painting.

Curt,
Thanks for the positive comment...was surprised that the dry brushing came out better than expected since we don't do that
on many builds here, but wanted to try it on that larger mill. Followed BVG painting  instructions in the kit manual.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

cuse

Nice work Tommy. That's a great kit. I really like the painted walls...I don't know what I'd do without dry brushing...it was a revelation for me.

John

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

tom.boyd.125

Quote from: cuse on December 05, 2021, 09:22:50 PM
Nice work Tommy. That's a great kit. I really like the painted walls...I don't know what I'd do without dry brushing...it was a revelation for me.

John

John,
Always could not get the dry brushing thing to look correct, so asked my wife's brother, Jassen Marek for help after he moved to Chisago City, Minnesota for retirement...
Jassen attended the Art Institute of Chicago and was a life long artist. His paintings and other works appear on the net at times...we lost him at the start of Covid...
My issue was the brushes that were being used. Even learned not to use white paint all the time, now use browns and greys too.
Here's the type of brushes that he gave me that solved my dry brushing issue. Prefer to use the larger one. Hope this info helps others...
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

tom.boyd.125

Quote from: S&S RR on December 06, 2021, 08:11:36 AM
Tommy

The build is looking great.

Thanks John...
Many more photos to follow...
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com