SRMW Retirement Build Challenge - 2021 updates

Started by tom.boyd.125, January 06, 2021, 01:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom.boyd.125

Quote from: Lynnb on October 08, 2021, 12:05:58 PM
Looks super Tom, are you going to share a few tricks for weathering the brick ?  :)
Look forward to you Fsm builds.

Lynn,
Will share that info your requested on how the brick is treated in the next month by comparing 6 different structures.
All of the builds have been treated differently. Will take photos and post them and how each one finished.
Notes are taken in all the instructions of each build on primer, chalks, stains, pastels, craft paint colors, etc....
The last structure photo posted shows an Arbor Green craft paint color for the trim. We try to use a different green, blue , brown, or tan too on each one....to change it up.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

Lynnb

Great idea taking notes on each build, I find once I'm done getting  just the look I'm after , I can't remember what road I went on to get there.  ;D
Look forward to your tips.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

The brick building looks great. Can't wait to see more.

Karl

tom.boyd.125

Quote from: Lynnb on October 13, 2021, 12:57:43 PM
Great idea taking notes on each build, I find once I'm done getting  just the look I'm after , I can't remember what road I went on to get there.  ;D
Look forward to your tips.

Lynn,
Thanks for following along !
Have notes on each build to share.
  Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

tom.boyd.125

Quote from: postalkarl on October 13, 2021, 04:24:55 PM
Hey Tom:

The brick building looks great. Can't wait to see more.

Karl

Karl,
Thanks for following along and here's a few photos for you to check out of the SRMW Cambridge Hotel under different lighting.
Just rattle can red on the plaster walls, white, grey, beidge and green craft paints for the details, acetate windows and craft paper window shades.
Finished with Rembrandt grey soft pastels for the mortar...Thanks for the # 73 birthday wishes too last weekend !
Just needs the signage, front balconies and roof done to finish it up.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

postalkarl

vinceg

Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

S&S RR

Tommy

Very nice work, and Happy Belated Birthday. 
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Lynnb

Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

The brickwork on the hotel is excellent.....well done Tom.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

tom.boyd.125

Karl, Vince, John, Lynn, Curt, Gregory and all the others who follow this thread...Thanks for the positive comments !
Back to work...
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

tom.boyd.125

Here's a quick update on the SRMW Cambridge Crossing kit that contains a neat looking station.
A plaster repair had to be made on the back side of the plaster cast station base...it was missing a one inch long section of stone detail.
To fix the casting,  the damaged section was wet with water and a plaster mix was set in to do the repair...new stones will be carved out and repainted with craft paints.
Loaded photos look upside down...but when you view them they are normal.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

craftsmankits

Looking good.  The Cambridge Crossing kit from SRMW was my inspiration into building craftsman style kits.  Bob had displayed his kits in Milwaukee the year that kit came out.  I took pictures, but didn't purchase it until many years later.  I'm saving it.  Looking forward to your continued progress with this particular kit, and any issues may find during construction.

Mark

deemery

Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to