SRMW Retirement Build Challenge - 2021 updates

Started by tom.boyd.125, January 06, 2021, 01:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

The foundation looks great. Are you going to apply mortar between the bricks and stones? windows look great also.

Karl

tom.boyd.125

Quote from: postalkarl on October 27, 2021, 09:24:48 AM
Hey Tom:

The foundation looks great. Are you going to apply mortar between the bricks and stones? windows look great also.

Karl

Karl,
Yes I will do the mortar on the foundation for the stone and brick before doing the windows.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

tom.boyd.125

Quote from: deemery on October 26, 2021, 11:43:30 AM
Nice fix, Tom!

dave

Thanks Dave...called BVG when I found the issue and he walked me thru the repair !
It was easier than I thought.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

tom.boyd.125

Quote from: craftsmankits on October 25, 2021, 10:22:03 PM
Looking good.  The Cambridge Crossing kit from SRMW was my inspiration into building craftsman style kits.  Bob had displayed his kits in Milwaukee the year that kit came out.  I took pictures, but didn't purchase it until many years later.  I'm saving it.  Looking forward to your continued progress with this particular kit, and any issues may find during construction.

Mark

Mark,
Will take photos when I install the windows and clapboard. Figured if the dormers could be finished with OV Hooker and the Threadwell Textile before this station...it should go easy.
I also attended that same show in Milwaukee when BVG had his dioramas there...Lamson & Son was also on display correct ???
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

ACL1504

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on October 05, 2021, 04:42:38 PM
Quote from: ACL1504 on September 29, 2021, 05:19:44 PM
Tommy,

Very nice build on the Blackstone kit, actually all of them. I made a change to mine in regards to the sub assembly of the stone portion. I don't want to steal your thread but will try to post a picture later this weekend.

Blackstone is one of only two SRMW kits I built.

Tom  ;D

Thanks for those comments Tom.
Will look you up if we ever get down to Florida.
Get well too.....Tommy

Tommy,

Yes, please do. Would love to have ya'll visit the A&S RR. Thank you also for the well wishes. Slow healing but getting there.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

tom.boyd.125

For doing mortar on any stone and brick structures, one method besides using chalk or a thin wash of craft paint is to use a product called
DAP Fast N Final Lightweight Spackle. Just smear it on, wait a minute or two then wipe it off. If you miss a few areas it looks natural like the stones can use some tuck pointing work.
Here's two photos of the base of the resin mill...SRMW Kit No. 340, Delabarre Woolens...learned that a decade ago while visiting Dick Elwell and his Hoosac Valley RR on the way to see an FSM open house that year.  You can clean up some hard to get to areas with a toothpick if you apply too much.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

vinceg

Wow, Tommy -- you're on fire. Trying to give Siekirk a run for his money?
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

craftsmankits

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on October 27, 2021, 12:10:32 PM
Looking good.  The Cambridge Crossing kit from SRMW was my inspiration into building craftsman style kits.  Bob had displayed his kits in Milwaukee the year that kit came out.  I took pictures, but didn't purchase it until many years later.  I'm saving it.  Looking forward to your continued progress with this particular kit, and any issues may find during construction.

Mark

Mark,
Will take photos when I install the windows and clapboard. Figured if the dormers could be finished with OV Hooker and the Threadwell Textile before this station...it should go easy.
I also attended that same show in Milwaukee when BVG had his dioramas there...Lamson & Son was also on display correct ???
Tommy

Hi Tommy,

You know?  I don't remember seeing the Lamson kit there, I was so taken by the Cambridge Crossing Kit, that I may have overlooked it.  It may be lingering in the background of the few photos I took.  I was trying to find the photos tonight, but didn't have any luck. 

Mark

tom.boyd.125

Quote from: vinceg on October 29, 2021, 09:47:36 AM
Wow, Tommy -- you're on fire. Trying to give Siekirk a run for his money?

Vince.. let's hope were not on fire...but was a volunteer firefighter once for 3 plus years in the suburbs just outside of Chicago.
This thread covers photos and tips from 2014 - 2021 on my SRMW kits that have been built. Always took photos for reference to look back on.
John builds faster than me...and is much younger...but remember we are all retired now too.
Many are hesitant to open up and start these expensive limited run kits...but when you do and see many built up in front of you...it feels great !
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

tom.boyd.125

Quote from: craftsmankits on October 29, 2021, 10:39:38 PM
Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on October 27, 2021, 12:10:32 PM

Mark

Mark,
Tommy

Hi Tommy,

You know?  I don't remember seeing the Lamson kit there, I was so taken by the Cambridge Crossing Kit, that I may have overlooked it.  It may be lingering in the background of the few photos I took.  I was trying to find the photos tonight, but didn't have any luck. 

Mark

Mark, I do remember BVG coming to Milwaukee with some dioramas but can't recall The Cambridge Crossing there...just the reverse of what you recall...remember Lamson because it was not purchased when it was first released and after seeing it...now have one.
Maybe will email him to see if that was his only trip there, but do remember George Sellios at Rosemont Illinois in 1976 at the NMRA National with the #170 sawmill on display that was built
by Gil Freitag...only attended the vendor show then.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

tom.boyd.125

Here's a few photos from the construction of SRMW Kit No. 340, Delabarre Woolens...
Showing the dry brush /peeling paint of the mill side wall in a two tone grey, powerhouse in yellow and white, and mill home in sandstone color with red trim.
Followed the colors in the instructions...
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

Walls look great. Can't wait to see more.

Karl

tom.boyd.125

Curt and Karl,
Thanks for the comments...a few photos are overdue so here is how the yellow, green and white powerhouse and the sandstone black and red mill house look as of today...
Mill house still needs the front porch added and both are ready for roofing. Both from the SRMW Delabarre Mill # 340 kit. Windows were spray painted flat black and glazed then the trim was painted . Med A/I wash on both.... Nail holes were added too. .Here's some reference photos.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

ACL1504

Tom,

This is one of my favorite build threads. I love the look of the brick and mortar in the above photos, well done.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com