Build challenge 2021, Bar Mills billboard.

Started by Zephyrus52246, January 11, 2021, 03:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zephyrus52246

I needed a sign for the side of the Addams avenue structure.  I have several of these Bar Mills Billboards, I don't think they make them anymore, and thought I'd use one.  It's my favorite for "Doctor Recommended" cigarettes.  Gotta keep that waiting room full.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Pretty basic stuff here.  Billboard back, edge with letters on top.  Matching separate letters piece, three struts for the back, a front plank and the sign itself and instructions.  Two small light shades and a piece of wire as well, but I didn't use these, as the curved track is going to pass pretty close to the edge of the structure and I don't want rolling stock hitting them. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

I separated all the pieces.  Spray painted black the back of the billboard (the front has self stick adhesive) , as well as the edge piece and all the wood pieces.  The front letters were spray painted white. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

The main challenge is cutting the sign out, the bottom edge extends beyond the "rectangle".  I used the outside "frame" piece as a guide to cutting this out. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Sign affixed.  Front frame put on.  Of course, now there's a white edge of the paper which can be seen, so this was touched up with black paint.  Entire sign and edges, etc weathered with some grey pastels.  White letters applied.  Frame built and voila!  Sign attached to the side of the structure.  Hard to believe I could build something in two days. 

Jeff

ReadingBob

That's a great looking billboard! 

This reminds me of a scene early on in the movie "The Monuments Men" where an Army Doctor is shown using his stethoscope to exam an inductee.  Both are smoking and the Doctor is coughing.   :o  :)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Opa George

Wonderful effect--a really nice detail that adds so much character.  Very cool, Jeff.
--Opa George

Zephyrus52246

Zephyrus52246

Bob, when I started here in private practice in '86, all the general surgeons, urologists and a couple of the gynecologists at the community hospital smoked.  You'd think they'd have known better.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Thanks, Opa George.  I think it's perfect to bring some life to a otherwise bland wall.

Jeff