Build challenge 2021, second act.

Started by Zephyrus52246, January 25, 2021, 08:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zephyrus52246

I usually don't work on the layout in the winter as the rooms are cold, though this has much improved with our new HVAC system from 2019.  The billboard was my first challenge build.  Here's the second.  I ordered some sidewalks for the town scene from FOS, and it was free kit time as well.  I really like these freebies.  They're quick and usually have a lot of personality for such small buildings.  This one is Keen's Gas.  Here's the stuff in the package.  Definitely different materials, thick card sides, one piece of clapboard siding, two "peaks" of wood, one piece of stripwood (!), a sheet for the doors and windows, thick plywood for the store front, pre cut windows (Yeah!), a metal cast chimney, a cardboard roof, a rolled roofingsheet, and a single sheet with a picture and signs, no instructions.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Cut all the parts apart and tried to figure out how it went together (part of the fun of these freebies).  I wanted the front to be a wood color and the rest a weathered red.  Used grey stain on the wood and brown on the front pieces.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

I spray painted the sides, "ceiling", and pump island with grey.  The mixed materials made for some issues.  The white card ceiling piece is also under the roof peak pieces.  I found a Vallejo color that was close to the wood color, then used the grey stain and finally sponge painted red to match the pieces.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

There's no bracing included, but most of the pieces warped, so I added some to all the pieces.  Of course when I tried to put the building together, some had to be trimmed and one removed and moved a bit, but no real issues.  The sides are basically entirely covered with a large sign.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

The front pieces were put together and windows and signs added.  I decided to open the transom window for some ventilation through the building. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

The sides have tabs that fit into slots in the ceiling piece.  I glued these on and the back piece first and let dry before adding the front.  Then added the front.  The edges lined up fairly well, but required the clamp set up here to make sure it dried that way.   

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

All the pieces are really well engineered to fit, except the clapboard back is a teeny bit short.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

That gap will be covered up with dirt/bushes/junk. I wanted to raise the building a bit for when it's "planted on the layout, a piece of the base (which I sprayed grey as well) fit very closely to the size of the building.  Serendipity.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Chimney was finished off, as was the pump.  Rolled roofing was applied (I had just enough already painted and left over from a previous build).  :)  It's a nice little structure.  Will get some more weathering before it finds a place on The Empire.  I haven't attached the island yet either as it will probably be handled a lot before it's placed.  A fun kit which took only a few days to complete. 

Jeff

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Jeff

Nice little build. Looks great.  And now for act 3.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Zephyrus52246

Zephyrus52246

John, I'm not sure what's next, maybe another structure.  But when looking for the billboard, I found some waycar (caboose) decals I thought were lost.  I have a brass caboose here that needs painting, so after I get some supplies, that may be next as well.

Jeff

ReadingBob

Sweet!  My wife gave me this one for X-Mas.  I love these little builds.  ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

postalkarl

Hey Jeff:

that's coming along very nicely. Keep the pic flowing.

Karl