2021 Build challenge. Act III

Started by Zephyrus52246, January 28, 2021, 02:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

Looking good so far!   ;D

I certainly make my share of "oops" as well.  It's the added challenge of fixing them or hiding them that makes all the difference.  I'll be covering one I made the next time I update my build thread.   ::) 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Zephyrus52246

Thanks, Bob.  The next step is to add the floor to the overhang, and add the joists under it.  This didn't go well.  The cardboard floor is only supported by the edges of the side walls, and then on ly on 3 sides.  I should've braced this first (there's nothing in the instructions about this).  After trying to add the joists, I noticed the floor bowed.  I added some bracing inside it using this rigamorol.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

This took two tries, as the first didn't quite sit flat, either, but a second attempt worked.  You can see them in place here.  Note I added some 90 degree pieces inside the walls earlier to square them while gluing as well.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Finally got the joists and the external cross beam in place.  The edges will be touched up later.  If doing this again, I'd do the joists while it was not on the structure, and add it when finished. 

Jeff

Keep It Rusty

Good looking building and nice work, Jeff.

postalkarl

Hey Jef:

looking just great so far.. I talked with Frank Bernard yesterday.

Karl

ACL1504

Jeff,

The build is coming along nicely. The weathering looks very good.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Zephyrus52246

Thank you Craig, Karl and Tom.  The kit comes with a cardboard base.  I painted the concrete and used some PanPastels on it.  It will be further weathered when put on the layout.  I think I'll have a dirt driveway and lot around it, but we'll see.  Added some black view blocks.  Gluing on the left addition was problematic.  It's a bit too wide.  I ended up making the front flush, as it will be seen from the front, leaving the back wall hanging in space.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Placing the back addition on, the corner looks a little funny, but when the roof is on and a large bush is planted there, No one will be the wiser.   ;D

Jeff

S&S RR

Jeff

You are doing some fine work on this one.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

postalkarl

Hey Jeff:

All I can say is WOW!!!! Beautiful job.

Karl

Zephyrus52246

Thank you, John and Karl.  I've gotten a lot done the last two days.  The tar paper was painted, cut and applied to the appropriate roofs.  I use the 3M tape for adhesion.  I paint the edges and visible undersides of the roof (used the trim color in this case).  Lines are drawn to have a reference to make sure the strips are straight.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

The corrugated metal areas were "painted" using powdered pastels (not the Pan Pastels) and alcohol.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

All the roofs are in place.  The roof details are on, except for boards to cover the peak of the corrugated roof.  The posts under the overhang are finished as well.  Getting close to finished on this one.  Of course, now I work the next three days.   >:(

Jeff

ReadingBob

I give this one two thumbs up!   ;D  She'll look great on the layout.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.