Bar Mills Majestic Hardware 2021 build challenge

Started by Oldguy, February 01, 2021, 09:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldguy

Woo hoo another fresh start.

Bar Mills boxes are kinds cool in that they include a basic scale ruler on the box flap.  Of course, I didn't get it in shot.  But attached are the box and contents photos.  The brown strip is to be corrugated metal.  We'll see.

Walls are aged lap siding.  The lap is not uniform.

Instructions are basic, but with good photos and parts notations.  I do like the included photos of the kit builds by others.  Something to get the modification juices going.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Here is a first for me, a correction to the instructions right up front.  Interestingly, the photo shown with the warning is correct.  So a nice heads up.

Another first for me - a help line notice,  Albeit via e-mail,  Cool.

And yet, another first - the build starts at the foundation.  The laser cut concrete block looks good and an attempt was made to get the block corners look right.  I.e.e long block, short block, etc. up the wall.  But, since it is end grain and laser cut, it'll take paint a bit different.  I did sand the burn off, and the joint was a bit off to begin with, so the short end blocks are a tad shorter now.

One must add the floor along with the foundation walls.  I did notice that the floor will fit only one way, so be forewarned.

While that was all being set up, it was on to the castings.  After the last kit, it seems a bit sparse.  But, since I couldn't use all of the last kit's detail parts, they will have a new home.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Larry.h

Bob, got a front row seat to see what you do with this early Bar Mills kit.

Mark Dalrymple

I'll be watching, Bob.

I think you were a bit spoilt with your last kits castings!

Cheers, Mark.

ReadingBob

I'm in for the journey too Bob.  Should be fun.  I built the N Scale version of this one a long time ago.   ::)  It was a fun build.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Opa George

I'm in for following this one, Bob.  I've always liked the look of this kit and interested to see how it comes out for you.  Not sure I would have room on my layout for this one, though, even if I decided I really wanted to try it.

--Opa George

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

BandOGuy

Now there's a novel concept: a building with a foundation. One of my favorite "nits".
Might have to buy the kit based on this feature alone.
Please keep up the sharing efforts and thanks for your time.
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

JimMooney

man that's an old one....I made some add-ons for that one and posted them to yahoo groups back in march 2003, if you want the pdf I can mail it to you (the pic is on the lower left of the instructions color photo page) loading docks, shed, different vent

Oldguy

Quote from: JimMooney on February 02, 2021, 05:42:12 PM
man that's an old one....I made some add-ons for that one and posted them to yahoo groups back in march 2003, if you want the pdf I can mail it to you (the pic is on the lower left of the instructions color photo page) loading docks, shed, different vent
That would be great if you would.  rmdye at aol dot com.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Wow.  It looks like I'm being followed by NASCAR drivers and I'm in a clown car.

It didn't realize this was an old kit.  I need Midwestern looking buildings, especially small structures such as this one.  It would appear that most decent kit manufacturers are located on the east coast, which naturally, flavor their kit designs.  Basically, my railroad operates in the DPM world.  One reason why I sold off most of my FSM kits.  They just wouldn't fit.  I do have the typical stash, but for whatever reason, Artie got my attention with his Monday Morning at the Station and I ran across this one.

So, anyway, I got started with clearing off the flash, using a dab of Fast Grab by Aleen's on a dowel, in preparation for priming.  I normally use Tamyia fine grey primer.  For wood looking bits I use a Leather Brown by Army Painter, also in a spray can.

By now the foundation has dried and I have added some scrap bracing left over from other builds.  I doesn't look like the same foundation form photos in the instructions.  Maybe, they added a blank area just above the  windows?  At first I thought maybe, the outer walls would slip down over it, but no.  Hmmm.  Okay, I'll treat it as a rim joist and paint it trim color.  I'll need to fill in some of the upper gaps with joint compound, sand, and this piece will be ready for grey primer.
I decided to add nail holes every two feet and beside each door and window frame.  It's a lot easier to do the small parts while still on the sheet.

The it was a quick brush over with the A&I, weighed down, a left to cure overnight.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond