Bar Mills Majestic Hardware 2021 build challenge

Started by Oldguy, February 01, 2021, 09:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janbouli

I looked back at my build and found that I had had the same problem Bob, took a bit of sanding. You're doing great so keep the pictures coming.
I love photo's, don't we all.

postalkarl

Oldguy

Found that I had doubled up on the corner trim for the rear upper wall.  It was a semi-simple matter of removing the trim off the flat section.  While that was drying, I looked at a section of roof as to how it is going to fit.  Trying to get the slot lined up and at the same time working the roof around a dormer was a pain.  Doable, but a pain.  But then it wouldn't fit.  Seems as something is off.  Then it was a matter of making a decision as to which side was off and make corrections all the while paying attention to the slot for the short side wall.  I think I'll finish installing the roof before I glue it to the foundation.  The same issue arose on the other side. 

While I was futzing with the roof pieces, I managed to finish the wrap around dock.  I needed to add the 2x12 angled board as it will have a 4x4 going through the end of it.  I hope.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Mark Dalrymple

Nice colour variations in the decking, Bob.

I like the piece at 45 degrees at the corner - a nice feature the looks very flash.

Cheers, Mark.

Keep It Rusty

I agree with Mark, that 45 degree cut is very nice!!

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

Looking good. Keep the pic flowing.

Karl

Oldguy

Before I could button this up, I needed to add some view block walls as the sliding doors are glued open.  Then the walls and the foundation were permanently mated.

I drilled out 4" diameter holes for the support posts.  Found that I need to start with half size, then 2/3rds, before getting to 4"  Then it was a matter of using a square file to get the holes fit for a 4x4.

I installed the two main roof cards and worked on the small dormer.  The slots, like the ones on the other side, were off a bit.  That and the tiny sidewall pieces had no tab to fit in the slots.  If I wasn't careful, they could fall inwards, where they would be a royal pain to get out again.  In fact these pieces had two boards removed to fit under the rood.  So, I just covered the slots with scrap note card bits and called it good.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

All of the roof pieces have been added.  There is a tower that fits over the junction of the higher and lower roof sections that will be added after the roofing has been installed.  It'll just be easier that way. 

I have reconsidered my roof covering choices.  The provided tar paper will be used for the lower roof pitches, such as the left hand roofs.  I have some black three-tab shingles coming in and those will go on the main roof and connecting sections.  The kit came with some paper self-adhesive wood shingles that I won't use.  The dock roof sections will be metal along with the center tower.
While waiting for the roof shingles, I can attack the dock roof and and a tar paper covered shed for the back.  Good idea Jim Mooney.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Mark Dalrymple

Looking really good, Bob.

Love the extra effort to get such beautiful square holes for the posts.

Cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

All I can is Wow!!! beautiful job so far.

Karl

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

jerryrbeach

Jerry

Oldguy

Thanks all.

I realized that I needed to roof the main sections before I could do the dock roof.  Mainly based on perceived fragility of the dock roof system.  I am going to do the roof in metal and wanted to use thin plastic for the roof deck.  So I did a bit of experimentation on adhesives for the same.  I chose Deluxe suoer 'phatic, medium super glue, and Aleenes Tacky Glue.  I added some cardboard to the mix as a control sample.  To my surprise, all worked as needed.  I dislike any super glues as we don't play well together. 

I decided to go ahead and roof the left side roof sections using the provided self-adhering material.  I had spray painted with a black primer which worked fairly well.  With the drawn lines, I was able to keep each row fairly straight.  Then I turned my attention to the upcoming three tab installation.  But . . . . the three tab has a 1/16" spacing and I had marked the main roof sections for the tar paper.  I tried to add additional lines, but it just won't work having already been installed.  So, back to original plan - rolled roofing. 

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

tom.boyd.125

Bob,
Your built is coming along great.
Time to get up on the roof.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

postalkarl

hey Bob:

Looks like the roof is coming along nicely. Can't wait for more pics.

Karl