Bar Mills Majestic Hardware 2021 build challenge

Started by Oldguy, February 01, 2021, 09:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldguy

Good thing I didn't wait for the three-tab black shingles as they haven't arrived yet.
I went ahead and used the provide rolled roofing.  One each sheet, there is one wide piece (I took it for the first row piece), one narrow piece (I used for the cap) and the rest are all the same width. 

I went ahead and made a shed addition.  The "tar paper" was tissue paper sprayed black.  I did have a fook up as I wanted the walls supported on the concrete block material, but the shed itself having a dirt floor.  This was to be a simple matter  of extending the doors down to dirt level.  I was having way to much fun making the doors out of 1 by material and 2 by material for the  trim.  I used thin brass rod for the external hinges.

So, it was a matter of adding a ramp up.  I also added supports for the dock roof.

The dock roof is made up of 0.40" plastic and covered with Campbell metal roofing.  Right now these have been pre-primed and are just sitting in place to see how it will look.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

ACL1504

Bob,

What a great looking structure. The roof weathering is very realistic. Great job on all of the build.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

Looks just great. Love your colors and as Tom said the roof looks just great.

Karl

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

WigWag Workshop

Awesome looking build Bob! Appreciate you sharing.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

Keep It Rusty

Great job, Bob. That deck and weathered roofing is wonderful.

Oldguy

Thanks all.  Can't believe I have been at this for 3 months! 

I found a bit of foam core, got it painted and measured for placement of the building.  First up was deciding how close the building needed to be from the base edge to the track.  With that determined, it was a matter of getting things attached.  I did find a short elbow that I took for an exhaust vent.  Since I had glued the building down, I simply drilled a hole in one end and inserted a brass rod.  The drilled a matching hole where it made sense for an exhaust duct and super glued it in place.

On the back side, I wanted to add a scale and grate, but having done one before, I realized that it wouldn't be seen.  So I skipped that part.  With everything else on some sort of foundation, the little curtain wall felt a bit left out, so I made a one block high foundation and cut off a equal amount from the wall.
So, this is done.  I have this and my last two builds to receive some sort of scenery.  I use real dirt, run through a blender to a fine powder and then add foam bits and ballast for greenery and gravel roads.

My work bench is a total mess and needs a deep cleaning and reorganization.  It'll give a bit of time to figure what to build next.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Zephyrus52246

postalkarl

NKP768

MAP

Mark

ACL1504

Quote from: MAP on March 08, 2021, 11:27:52 AM
You really did a nice job on this build Bob!

Bob,

I agree with the others, very well done. It looks wonderful.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

deemery

Majestic Hardware is probably the 'quintessential Bar Mills Kit'.  Nice job!

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Oldguy

Jeff, Karl, Doug, Mark, Tom, dave, and Dennis, thanks one and all.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond