Sierra Southern Products HOn3 Curved Trestle - unboxing

Started by NEMMRRC, February 07, 2021, 05:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEMMRRC

Howdy!

Doctor Jeff mentioned he had not heard of Sierra Southern Products. I had not either until I ran into this kit
at my local hobby shop. Often the shop owner buys entire estates from modelers who have move on the
great train yard in the sky. I find plenty of old kits at the shop and you never know what will turn up.

So, when I saw this curved trestle kit it was hard to pass up for only $7.99. I mean, I don't model narrow gauge
and I don't even have a need for a curved trestle at the moment. But hey, why not?! It's only $7.99.

I have to be careful with what I buy at the LHS since many of these kits have been opened before and some have
even been started already. Plus, there are times when what it's in the box doesn't match the kit that should be
in the box. Some surprises are not always desirable.

Thus, I opened the kit and studied it contents. I think I may have a very nice find here.

Let me first give you a peek at the kit's box.

What is in the box?!

Jaime

NEMMRRC

I was initially greeted by a card explaining how I could have a free bent for a trestle if I chose to build
two of the kits. Wow! That is great customer service. I wonder will I ever find a second of these....

Anyone out there have one of these? We could go halfsies on the free bent.

I suspect there were at least 110 of these kits manufactured. I have # 109 and it would be irresponsible of the
kit maker to produce an odd number when there is an offer that involves two kits.

There is a full size sheet of paper with instructions.

Here you see a full size template for the bents.

And here you see a full-size template fior how to arrange the stringers for the track.

Inside the box the rest of the scale lumber is found conveniently bagged into separate labeled bags.

And here is where the kit got really interesting to me. There is a tube of glue and razor blade in the kit!!!

Here is more of the lumber.

And here is a sheet of sanding paper.

I may have to go read the instructions to determine if the glue and razor are meant to be part of the original kit.

Jaime

NEMMRRC

The kit instructions mention how the kit comes with sufficient glue to build the trestle. So,
I have to assume the unopened tube of Wilhold glue is original to the kit.

Alas, the glue inside the tube is hard as a rock! Oh well.

The razor blade is not mentioned in the instructions and it is quite rusty on the "FREMONT OHIO" side.

The other side is in much better shape and bears the manufacturer's stamp, "CRESCENT INDUSTRIAL".

The tube of glue claims it has no fumes and it is non-flammable and permanent. Exactly what a modeler requires
to build a fine trestle for a great layout.

The tube of glue is stamped with a price of 19 cents. Should I go back to the LHS and ask for my 19 cents back?!

The glue tube has handy cap.

I took the razor blade in the box and sliced open the tube of glue.

That is hardly drying clear in my book. So it goes.

For $7.99 I'd say this was a great find.

Jaime

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

Interesting trestle.....I'll be looking in also Jamie.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ReadingBob

Pretty neat find.   :)  Should make for an interesting model.  I'm in for the ride as well.    ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

MAP

Mark

tom.boyd.125

Jaime,
That's an old kit...that glue was invented in 1968... the antique store in town had that original 10 cent tube of Wilhold glue for sale for 5.00.
Will follow along.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

NEMMRRC

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on February 08, 2021, 11:35:45 AM
Jaime,
That's an old kit...that glue was invented in 1968... the antique store in town had that original 10 cent tube of Wilhold glue for sale for 5.00.
Will follow along.
Tommy
I could have made my money back by eBaying the tube of glue... Oh well, too late. I sliced it open to satisfy my curiosity.

I'm amazed how there has been a lot of kit makers that came and went and left behind a bunch of cool unbuilt kits.

Jaime

postalkarl

Hey jaime:

Looks interesting and I shall be following along. Always enjoy your builds.

Karl

Zephyrus52246

Fascinating that it had glue and a razor blade in the box.  Looks like a find.  Looking forward to your building it.

Jeff

Jerry

Looks like a winner Jaime.  I'll follow along.
Just don't cut yourself with the rusty razor blade!!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

ACL1504

Jaime,

I've been lurking here so now it's official. I'm following along on this one.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

bparrish

Jaime...

Pretty cool find............

There are a lot of time capsules out there and not on e-bay.

For kits such as that I have had really good luck with Franklin tite bond with the red label. There are blue and green but they are for water resistance and don't clean up well.

When I get squeeze out I resist rubbing it off right away.  I let it get doughy so it does not clog the grain when scooped up with a x-acto blade.

I use alcohol and aniline dye for such models and it really sees left behind glue. Scooping up later works but it is painful to wait.  We have this irresistible urge to do something right away.

see  ya

Bob

Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

NEMMRRC

Thanks all for the feedback.

I've started on the kit and so far there is no big demand for model railroading voodoo. This is an exercise in precision and patience.

I'm putting some photos together so I can have something substantial to post.

More as it develops.

Jaime