FSM Branchline Bucket Coaling Station

Started by SteveCuster, February 10, 2021, 06:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveCuster

Hello everyone,

Next in line is an old one-  Fine Scale Miniatures Branchline Coaling Station.

I started this kit this week. I managed to get all the castings primed or blackened and most of the stripwood colored.

Just a picture of the box.

All the stripwood as been colored. The kit has several bags of wood each labeled "Right and Left Walls, Rear Wall, Floor etc.." which makes it easy and a good portion is precut as well. I stained the wood with alcohol and powdered chalks after I added some grain with a wire brush.

The framing for the walls is done. I made a copy of the templates and used some double sided tape to stick the wood to them.

Both side walls and the rear. I would've liked to add the siding while the walls were stuck to the template but the inside framing is facing up.

The framing for the floor is complete.

That's all so far. Next step is attaching the siding.

Thanks for following along.
Steve Custer

ReadingBob

That's a fun little build Steve!  I'm following along. 

I built this one a long, long time ago.  Mine needs some TLC to refurbish it.  I tried the etchant method of rusting the corrugated roofing which looked great when I was finished with but over the years the panels continued to erode so there's not much left of them now.   ::)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Keep It Rusty

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

Built that one A couple of months ago for my buddy Jons railroad. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Karl

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, Steve.

The timber colouring is very nice.

Cheers, Mark.

Bernd

Steve,

Another build to follow. Watching you guys build kits is great for my learning curve.

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

dick green

Wow That put me in the "way back machine". first wood kit I ever built. I'm thinking maybe 1979.
Dick
Dick
Apple Valley, Mn

S&S RR

Steve

You are off to a great start, I will be following along.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

SteveCuster

Good morning everyone.

I made some more progress on the walls over the last couple days. I also started planning the placement of the building on the layout also.

I wanted the walls the be pretty beat up and worn. The siding is colored with rembrandt chalks mixed with alcohol.

I glued the walls together and glued them down to the floor. The instructions call for doing these in separate steps but I only waiting till the glue on the walls started to cure before I glued the assembly to the decking. I wanted to make sure I could easily adjust the walls to match the dimensions of the floor.

Close up of the left wall.

I had originally intended to place the structure here on the layout but once I put it together I realized its far too overpowering for the scene. So I had to rethink it's placement.

I think it will go here and I'll add the FSM Water Tank right next to it.

Here is how it will fit in the overall scene. This area is a little to the right of the original spot I had intended for it to go.

I painted the foam base brown last night.. I can't proceed with the build easily without gluing it down so that'll be my next step.

I'm probably going to opt-out of the rear track and have the coal delivered by truck instead. I'm not sure yet, I have to start to put it all together and get an idea of how it feels.
Steve Custer

Keep It Rusty

Excellent progress, Steve. Your modeling continues to shine.

deemery

If those 2 tracks in front of the station are meant to be 'double track main' line, you could reinforce that notion by adding a water column for the track on the left side.  I've seen pictures of that in the prototype, and it would add a bit of "eye candy" and operational interest.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ACL1504

Steve,

Most excellent. Like others, I built this kit many moons ago but I like yours much better.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com