Started by SteveCuster, February 10, 2021, 06:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Dalrymple

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

Looking just beautiful so far.

Karl

Opa George

Steve, love the look of that. Those interior shots are fantastic.
--Opa George

SteveCuster

Thanks everyone for all the positive comments and for taking the time to comment.

Todays update: I got the front wall installed, added the ridge support and started the rafters.

Front wall is built and installed. Both the front and rear walls needed to be notched for the ridge board. I had already notched the rear before I glued the walls together but the front was a little more challenging. The small assembled front wall section is very fragile.

The rafters are being installed. They need to be notched to clear the tops of the side walls. I stopped here but I should be able to get the rest of the rafters installed today, hopefully most of the roof boards as well. Everything is already colored and weathered so it's just a matter of installation.

Thanks for following along.
Steve Custer

postalkarl

deemery

I suspect 1-1 scale carpenters find notching rafters is annoying, too :-)  (I'd ask my brother if he was still with us.)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Mark Dalrymple

Wow!  Birds mouths.  How flash.

Looking good.

Cheers, Mark.

craftsmankits

Looks awesome.  Enjoying this build. 

Mark

Oldguy

Extremely well executed. Most of the other superlatives were already used.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

cuse

Beautiful work as always, Steve!!

I've got one of these kits that I will never build...If anyone is inspired, PM me

John

SteveCuster

Thanks everyone!

I made some more progress on the roof between yesterday and today.

All the rafters are glued in place.

All the roof boards are in place. I beat some of them up but not as aggressive as the walls.

I wanted a really beat up tarpaper roof to match the beat up structure. I used black tissue paper sprayed with black primer.

The other side..

Next step is building the rear shed.

Thanks for following along.
Steve Custer

PaulS

Just Beautiful Steve !!
So very well executed ...   
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

Keep It Rusty

That roof is gorgeous.

Can you clarify what type of tissue paper you are using? I don't think it's the same kind I'm used to as what you've used looks slightly thicker?

SteveCuster

Thanks Paul. Thanks Craig.

Craig, here is a link to the same brand I bought only they don't seem to have black anymore. I think the gray would work well also.

https://www.amazon.com/Gift-Wrap-Tissue-Paper-15/dp/B078PHC52R/ref=sr_1_1?crid=233KCTPZLLJAH&dchild=1&keywords=flexicore+packaging+black&qid=1613769227&sprefix=flexicore+pack%2Caps%2C323&sr=8-1

It seems like standard tissue paper thickness, pretty thin. I did spray it with black spray paint so that may have given it a little more thickness and stability.
Steve Custer

Keep It Rusty