FSM Branchline Bucket Coaling Station

Started by SteveCuster, February 10, 2021, 06:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erieman

Steve,

l really like the roofing paper. I have been using kraft wrapping paper with charcoal acrylic paint, followed by a lot of sanding. The material you are using looks more fragile and looks easier to weather. Count me in. just ordered it. What did you spray it with. Rattle can or ?

Frank / Erieman

Jerry

Steve beautiful roofing.  And birdsmouth no less, perfect execution!!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Janbouli

Awesome roof , awesome structure , awesome build.
I love photo's, don't we all.

Opa George

ACL1504

Steve,

Amazing modeling for sure. Perfect looking old and weathered roof.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Erieman

Steve,

The Amazon man delivered my package of grey gift tissue. There is enough tissue to do a gazilion buildings. I'll share with friends and maybe find a couple of gifts I can wrap. What type of paint did you spray the tissue with? What grade of sand paper did you use ? So instruction would be greatly appeciated.

Thank you in advance,

Frank / Erieman

SteveCuster

Thanks for the nice comments everyone!

Frank, Definitely enough to last for decades and tons of buildings. I sprayed mine with Rust-Oleum Camo Black but I prefer dark gray auto primer I just didn't have any on hand. I've used some of the cheaper flat blacks but they always seem to have a little sheen. The Rust-Oleum or Krylon Camo is always super flat. I didn't sand the paper at all either before installation or after. I used very sharp tweezers to tear at it as I installed it. In some of the heavier weathered spots I sort of pulled it with a razor to tear it. Once it's set into the glue its really easy to tear little areas in the middle of the sheets with tweezers or a toothpick. I think you could also use a straight edge and tear along the edge to get a nice rough edge without cutting with a blade.

I forgot to mention I didn't remove each strip from the sheet until after it was painted. I cut lines every 3 feet horizontally but didn't cut vertically until it had been painted.
Steve Custer

nycjeff

Hello Steve, great job on the roof and thank you for the tutorial on your methods and the tip on where to get the tissue paper.   Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

That model is looking just beautiful. Really great weathering. Love the roof to.

Karl

fsmcollector67

Steve, Love the way tar paper came out, will have to try that method.

Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....
"Watch out for that #11 Blade"

SteveCuster

Thanks Jeff, Karl and Loren. I really appreciate all the positive feedback!

I finished the rear shed and started to get the diorama assembly over the weekend.

The rear wall was assembled the same way as the others only horizontal instead of vertical.

I decided to not use the track service in the rear of the shed.

The instructions called for the PCB etchant weathering technique to age to corrugated metal. I never get good results with that technique and I've attempted it several times. I beat up these pieces of corrugation with a small pair of scissors and a #11 blade. I colored them with chalks after I primed them with rust colored paint. The glue is still wet in this picture, I'll be adding some more rust streaks and colors after it all dries.

I tried to make the sheets look beat up and loose from the front. This is probably about the furthest you'll be able to see the rear shed.

The other side.. I also glued the water tank to the base as well.

This is a front view of how it all lays out. I still need to do some minor detailing of the structure (NBW castings etc..)

Tomorrow I'll try to put down the first basecoat of ground cover. It should really bring everything to life.

Thanks for following along.
Steve Custer

Keep It Rusty

Looking mighty fine, Steve. It seems we just painted our corrugated panels at the same time!

Mark Dalrymple

SteveCuster

Thanks Mark and Craig!

Seems that way Craig also looks like we had similar coloring ideas.
Steve Custer

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

The water tank looks just beautiful. Great job buddy.

Karl