FSM Branchline Bucket Coaling Station

Started by SteveCuster, February 10, 2021, 06:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zephyrus52246

Very nice work.  I really like the tar paper roof.

Jeff

sdrees

Steve Drees
SP RR

SteveCuster

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it!
Steve Custer

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

N de M

Impressive. Very well done, would you mind sharing how you achieved that cracking dirt look, it looks awesome.

SteveCuster

Thanks guys!

I'm glad you like the cracking dirt but it wasn't really done on purpose. The dirt I used is sifted really really fine and it just cracked when I glued it down. I left some of the cracks but they bigger ones didn't look good so I rubbed some dirt in them to make them disappear.

The dirt is from outside. I bake it to kill anything then run it through a coffee bean grinder followed by sifting through a fine screen.
Steve Custer

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

The dirt does look great and WOW!!! you make your own.

Karl

Dennis Bourey

Steve, What's your formula for your dirt sir? Beautiful Job!!!
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

engine909

As always, extremely well done. Steve is is always a pleasure viewing your modeling.

SteveCuster

Thanks Karl, Dennis and Ed. I really appreciate it!

Dennis, No real formula it's really just some Pennsylvania dirt. The batch I'm using now is from a dump truck load of topsoil I got a few years back. I took a bucket of it, baked it and sifted it.

I've always struggled getting my dirt fine enough. In the past I used a mortar and pestle to grind it down as fine as could for roads but I really like the coffee bean grinder now. I bought it for about $10 or less I think from Amazon. It grinds the dirt to a super fine dust. Then I just sift the bigger rocks out of it. Just watch out for anything glassy in the dirt.
Steve Custer

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

deemery

Only model railroaders would have a discussion about "great dirt" :-) :-)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Steve

Great modeling. A coffee bean grinder for grinding your dirt finer, I need to try that.  I'm still using a mortar and pestle.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

cuse

Great Build as always Steve...and I have always been a big fan of your dirt (and overall ground cover coloring and texture). Awesome Job!

I've got that kit on my shelf and have come to the conclusion that I will never build it. If anyone wants to make me an offer, PM me. I'm not looking for a big payday-I'd actually be more interested in a barter for detail parts, 1920-30's vehicles, small structures, etc (preferably built-up and weathered). I just have all of my real estate spoken for and that beautiful structure is much bigger than I would have guessed.

Sorry Steve...don't mean to hijack your beautiful build thread.

John

SteveCuster

Thanks everyone!

John, I thought the same thing once I started building it....this one is way bigger than I had thought it was going to be.
Steve Custer