Testors Dullcoat Lacquer ?

Started by T.C., February 12, 2021, 02:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T.C.

I have a few 1-3/4 bottles of Testors Dullcoat that I want to use to in my VL air brush.Anyone have a good starting thinner to paint formula for this ?I dont want to wast it but I need good results and coverage.Also can I use plain lacquer thinner ?Any help would be appreciated  :D Thanks T.C.

jerryrbeach

The thinner I have used with the bottles of Dullcoat Lacquer #1160 is called as Testor's Brush Cleaner (and thinner) #1156.  It says on the bottle it contains mineral spirits, no indication of what other ingredients might be in the bottle.  I would be leery of using lacquer thinner as it attacks plastic and can soften and attack enamel based paints.  I would try spraying a similarly painted "scrap" piece with whatever thinner I used rather than potentially ruining a prize model.  Just my two cents...
Jerry

Keep It Rusty

As Dullcote is a pretty simple lacquer, any lacquer thinner will work just fine. I would start with a 50/50 mix (this should be thin enough to shoot thru your airbrush).

As always, start with a scrap piece first and make sure everything is good (your mix, the room temp, the PSI you're using etc...)

deemery

Don't pour any of the thinned Dullcote back into the bottle.  Oftentimes a thinner works great for airbrushing, but over a longer time does bad things to the original paint. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

T.C.

Thank you gentlemen greatly appreciated.Sence the word Lacquer is on the label one would think it is a lacquer base product.I think I will make a separate small bottle with my spray mix @ 50/50, that way I wont contaminate the big bottle.I have a Climax I want to paint with the dullcoat and I will take your advise and do a test on a junk something to check the mix and make sure it doesn't do funny things?Thanks again !   T.C.

jbvb

I agree with Craig and Dave.  I started using hardware store lacquer thinner for airbrushing Floquil back when you could still get Dio-Sol.  But keep it out of the bottle, as it has made mine clabber.  The MSDS sheets were taken down after Floquil was discontinued, but searches will find people talking about it:  Varnish Makers & Painters Naphtha and Xylene are available in many hardware stores.
James