Scratch Built Rock Crusher Building

Started by Bernd, February 20, 2021, 02:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerryrbeach

Bernd,

FWIW, I have seen your modeling on the "other" forum, thus am pretty familiar with and appreciate your often unique approach to modeling.

Like you I only belong to Facebook to access one group that has a focus on the area I model.  My Facebook page currently has nary a photo or post.  The inability to search topics easily seems to be a non-starter in my opinion, thus I much prefer this forum.

In the edge of the Catskills area I model the predominant stone is bluestone.  While it is possible to purchase crushed bluestone today, in the era I model (ca 1920) it appears that bluestone was quarried only for sidewalks and building stone.   There were several sand and/or gravel banks in the area.  Two of the gravel banks show up in photos along the railroad right of way.  It appears from some timber remains by one of the banks that there was most likely some kind of crusher in use at one time.  Since my layout plan is for a freelance version of the Delaware & Northern, a small crusher seems like a reasonable choice for the layout.   
Jerry

S&S RR

Bernd

What a fantastic project.  This structure is looking great - I real cut stone wall in HO scale. Very nice work.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Bernd

Quote from: jerryrbeach on February 22, 2021, 05:37:59 PM
Bernd,

FWIW, I have seen your modeling on the "other" forum, thus am pretty familiar with and appreciate your often unique approach to modeling.

So you already know about my craziness in doing things.  ;D

Like you I only belong to Facebook to access one group that has a focus on the area I model.  My Facebook page currently has nary a photo or post.  The inability to search topics easily seems to be a non-starter in my opinion, thus I much prefer this forum.

It's not a bad place to catch some interesting tidbits at times. Also I belong to the Friends of the EBT. I signed up for a membership of the East Broad Top Railroad. My favorite narrow gauge.

In the edge of the Catskills area I model the predominant stone is bluestone.  While it is possible to purchase crushed bluestone today, in the era I model (ca 1920) it appears that bluestone was quarried only for sidewalks and building stone.   There were several sand and/or gravel banks in the area.  Two of the gravel banks show up in photos along the railroad right of way.  It appears from some timber remains by one of the banks that there was most likely some kind of crusher in use at one time.  Since my layout plan is for a freelance version of the Delaware & Northern, a small crusher seems like a reasonable choice for the layout.

Sounds like you might be looking for a building. I know where to get some drawings.  ;)

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Bernd

Quote from: S&S RR on February 23, 2021, 09:03:06 AM
Bernd

What a fantastic project.  This structure is looking great - I real cut stone wall in HO scale. Very nice work.

Thank you John. I know it was a lot of work to put into a building, but I like to build unique items that can't be found on somebody else's layout. In one way right now I wish I would have waited a bit longer on using soapstone. In my attempt to find a product I could used to simulate rough faced limestone, for a roundhouse project I'm slowly putting together, I discovered dental stone and using Hydrocal for the first time in casting. Hopefully  some time in the future I can post a thread on this project.

Bernd

ACL1504

Quote from: Bernd on February 20, 2021, 05:48:48 PM
Quote from: ACL1504 on February 20, 2021, 03:12:33 PM
Bernd,

That sure is a lot of work but well worth the end product. Looks fantastic.

Tom  ;D

Thanks Tom. Much appreciated.

Yes it is a lot of work if you are in a hurry to get a railroad running. There's nothing like have that individual block look.

Bernd

Gernd,

In many areas of life, I'm not very patient. However, in modeling, I have been accused of having the patience of a Saint. Well, I'm no saint but I have the patience of Job when modeling. LOL

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

tom.boyd.125

Bernd,
That will be a neat structure...
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

postalkarl

Hey Bernd:

the stone walls look just beautiful. Can't wait to see what you do with this.

Karl

Bernd

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on February 24, 2021, 11:38:02 AM
Bernd,
That will be a neat structure...
Tommy

Thanks Tommy. Haven't done much to finish the top part yet. Other things on my plate right now.

Bernd

Bernd

Quote from: postalkarl on February 24, 2021, 04:47:04 PM
Hey Bernd:

the stone walls look just beautiful. Can't wait to see what you do with this.

Karl

Thanks Karl. Means a lot coming from you. I think you'll find I'm a bit odd about doing things.

Been working on the top half like I told Tommy, but other things have been going on so haven't been at the wrokbench to much.

Bernd

Bernd

Here's why I haven't updated my rock crusher building for several weeks. It's slow progress. Hopefully the following explanation will give a clue to an almost stopped project.

Well after spending the last several weeks getting equipment together and learning 3D modeling to produce an item for a model building or rail equipment, I would consider a 3D printed part a part of a scratch build since you are using tools to build a part. But four or so years ago I would have told you what you can do with your 3D printer. Talk about a 180 degree turn.

Ok enough of that. Let me start out by the tools I'm using. I purchased an new HP ProDesk 600 G5 SFF computer. Runs at 3.000GHz with a virtual disk and 48.0 GB of memory. A Kensington track ball and an HP P24q G4 monitor. Running Windows 10 Pro. The printer was purchased second hand from a forum member. It's an Anycubic Photon printer with a printing volume 4.52" x 2.56" x 6.1". Good enough for what I want to do right now. A bigger printer could be in the works in the future. For software I'm running AutoCads latest version of Fusion 360 for Hobbyist. I'm using Chitubox for my slicer. I have yet to try out a print. I still need to purchase some resin for printing. That'll be the second rabbit hole to go down, learn how to set the printer up for perfect prints.

So here's what the whole package looks like.

During this period of research I also spent many hours on line watching video's using Fusion 360. Many of the tutorials were made 3 to 4 years ago. This made it hard to learn 360 due to the version updates to 2021. I believe the last was last March 2020. I did find two guys who knew how to present a proper tutorial so you can follow. The guy that, in my opinion was one of the better teachers was Paul McWorter's series called "Learn Fusion 360 or Die Trying". It's 13 lessons long. He teaches about using 2d drafting methods in the use of what in 360 is called "sketch". Very informative lessons. After practicing a couple of his presentations I was able to model some of my own ideas. One problem though is the fact that he uses software that applied in 2016. The menus have changed since then, but when you find the operation that is to be preformed it will help remembering where it was located. Here is he first lesson of thirteen from Paul: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5tp4QXciK4&ab_channel=PaulMcWhorter

The second person I found very good at producing lessons on Fusion 360 is Kevin Kennedy. His first lesson was two years ago and that helps with today's version of the software. Kevin has quiet a large repository of videos to choose from. Here's a link to his channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheKHaug And a link to his first lesson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yPKMSb6ja8&ab_channel=ProductDesignOnline

There is a third person I followed for a while but just couldn't contend with his heavy accent. I had to replay certain sections many times to figure out what he was saying. You can check out his videos yourself and decide. LINK to his Fusion 360 Tutorial for Absolute Beginners— Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5bc9c3S12g&ab_channel=LarsChristensen

I've read where many people trying to learn Fusion or any other 3D modeling or even 2D drafting programs get frustrated trying to learn that specific program by watching a video is the fact how the presenter presents the the lesson. You don't need fancy background music. It's tough to listen to you trying to explain a procedure over music. Second I don't think any go back and listen to what they have produced. There voice sounds terrible with what ever mike they are using. Some are nothing but a mumble, while others sound like they are in a tin building. But anyway I made my way through and have learned quite a bit about Fusion 360, plus it also puts out G codes for 3D milling machines. Now that'll be another rabbit hole to go down someday.

So what have I accomplished with 3D desing? Well As you know I've been talking about animating my rock crusher project building and I had made an auger using my lathe. Well I learned how it can be done on Fusion. Here are some progressive pictures starting with a finished 3D drawing on Fusion to where it's ready for printing.
At this point I still need to purchase some resin and figure out how to get perfect parts from the printer. My first project is an auger that will replace the one I built for the rock crusher.

After many hours following tutorials and practice I came up with this 3D drawing.

Here the file has been turned into an STL and opened in the Chitubox software for slicing

And the file is ready to be loaded into the printer and hopefully in a little over 7 hours it will be done with no errors. The auger is approximately 1" in diameter and 4.5" long.

So that's it for my 3D printing adventure so far. Hopefully in the next few months, yes months, warmer weather is coming with many outside projects to do, I'll have a printed part in may hand.

Until then.

Bernd

Keep It Rusty

Most curious to see how this prints, Bernd. Are they auto supports or manual?

What's the thickness of the screw layers?

I'm anticipating some potential warpage, which sometimes happens on edge-to-edge prints.

This all said, there is an art to the science so you might be printing a success right out of the gate!

As for your resin, stick with AnyCubic own brand. Their translucent green one will shave off an hour or more per print, too.

postalkarl

Looking just great so far. Can't wait to see more.

Karl

Bernd

Quote from: Keep it Rusty on March 20, 2021, 11:18:01 PM
Most curious to see how this prints, Bernd. Are they auto supports or manual?

What's the thickness of the screw layers?

I'm anticipating some potential warpage, which sometimes happens on edge-to-edge prints.

This all said, there is an art to the science so you might be printing a success right out of the gate!

As for your resin, stick with AnyCubic own brand. Their translucent green one will shave off an hour or more per print, too.

I still don't know what I'm doing in the slicer program yet. That's the next step in getting something printed. I kind of burned out on the Fusion 360 learning curve and need a little time to recover.

The supports are auto generated. I tried one standing straight up. With all the supports it put in I couldn't even see the auger. The design calls for a .375" diameter shaft and the thickness of the auger is .063". I think the only way to find out is to let it print and see what the end results are. I figure that this is part of the learning curve. I don't expect a perfect part the first time since I'm new to this whole new system. It'll take a while to figure out. I don't give up easy. Okay, I'll be using the Anycubic resin. That's the next step. Ordering some resin and setting up the printer along with learning the slicer program.

But in the mean time I need to get back to finishing the rock crusher building.

I'll be bugging you for advice when the time comes to print. Thanks for all the help so far. Much appreciated.

Bernd

GPdemayo

Looks likes the hobby is heading into a whole new dimension.....this just keeps getting more interesting by the post.....well done Bernd.  8) 
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Bernd

Quote from: postalkarl on March 21, 2021, 09:44:56 AM
Looking just great so far. Can't wait to see more.

Karl

Thanks Karl. Please don't hold your breath while waiting you might turn blue and faint. ;) There will be more coming, but first I need to recover from Fusion burn out. It's back to a scale and Axacto knife for a while.

Bernd