Advertise Here - SUPPORT TMF

Author Topic: Scratch Built Rock Crusher Building  (Read 328 times)

jerryrbeach

• Modeler's Hero 500+ Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Scratch Built Rock Crusher Building
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2021, 05:37:59 PM »
Bernd,

FWIW, I have seen your modeling on the "other" forum, thus am pretty familiar with and appreciate your often unique approach to modeling.

Like you I only belong to Facebook to access one group that has a focus on the area I model.  My Facebook page currently has nary a photo or post.  The inability to search topics easily seems to be a non-starter in my opinion, thus I much prefer this forum.

In the edge of the Catskills area I model the predominant stone is bluestone.  While it is possible to purchase crushed bluestone today, in the era I model (ca 1920) it appears that bluestone was quarried only for sidewalks and building stone.   There were several sand and/or gravel banks in the area.  Two of the gravel banks show up in photos along the railroad right of way.  It appears from some timber remains by one of the banks that there was most likely some kind of crusher in use at one time.  Since my layout plan is for a freelance version of the Delaware & Northern, a small crusher seems like a reasonable choice for the layout.   
Jerry

S&S RR

• T-Shirt - FORUM SPONSOR
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2021, 09:03:06 AM »
Bernd

What a fantastic project.  This structure is looking great - I real cut stone wall in HO scale. Very nice work.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Bernd

• One Hundred Post Club
    • View Profile
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2021, 12:51:31 PM »
Bernd,

FWIW, I have seen your modeling on the "other" forum, thus am pretty familiar with and appreciate your often unique approach to modeling.

So you already know about my craziness in doing things.  ;D

Like you I only belong to Facebook to access one group that has a focus on the area I model.  My Facebook page currently has nary a photo or post.  The inability to search topics easily seems to be a non-starter in my opinion, thus I much prefer this forum.

It's not a bad place to catch some interesting tidbits at times. Also I belong to the Friends of the EBT. I signed up for a membership of the East Broad Top Railroad. My favorite narrow gauge.

In the edge of the Catskills area I model the predominant stone is bluestone.  While it is possible to purchase crushed bluestone today, in the era I model (ca 1920) it appears that bluestone was quarried only for sidewalks and building stone.   There were several sand and/or gravel banks in the area.  Two of the gravel banks show up in photos along the railroad right of way.  It appears from some timber remains by one of the banks that there was most likely some kind of crusher in use at one time.  Since my layout plan is for a freelance version of the Delaware & Northern, a small crusher seems like a reasonable choice for the layout.

Sounds like you might be looking for a building. I know where to get some drawings.  ;)

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Bernd

• One Hundred Post Club
    • View Profile
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2021, 01:00:29 PM »
Bernd

What a fantastic project.  This structure is looking great - I real cut stone wall in HO scale. Very nice work.

Thank you John. I know it was a lot of work to put into a building, but I like to build unique items that can't be found on somebody else's layout. In one way right now I wish I would have waited a bit longer on using soapstone. In my attempt to find a product I could used to simulate rough faced limestone, for a roundhouse project I'm slowly putting together, I discovered dental stone and using Hydrocal for the first time in casting. Hopefully  some time in the future I can post a thread on this project.

Bernd

ACL1504

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2021, 05:08:11 PM »
Bernd,

That sure is a lot of work but well worth the end product. Looks fantastic.

Tom  ;D

Thanks Tom. Much appreciated.

Yes it is a lot of work if you are in a hurry to get a railroad running. There's nothing like have that individual block look.

Bernd

Gernd,

In many areas of life, I'm not very patient. However, in modeling, I have been accused of having the patience of a Saint. Well, I'm no saint but I have the patience of Job when modeling. LOL

Tom  ;D
If you hate plan A, you are certainly not going to like plan B!

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

tom.boyd.125

• Almelund Valley RR
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2021, 11:38:02 AM »
Bernd,
 That will be a neat structure...
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

postalkarl

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2021, 04:47:04 PM »
Hey Bernd:

the stone walls look just beautiful. Can't wait to see what you do with this.

Karl

Bernd

• One Hundred Post Club
    • View Profile
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2021, 06:41:39 PM »
Bernd,
 That will be a neat structure...
Tommy

Thanks Tommy. Haven't done much to finish the top part yet. Other things on my plate right now.

Bernd

Bernd

• One Hundred Post Club
    • View Profile
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2021, 06:43:35 PM »
Hey Bernd:

the stone walls look just beautiful. Can't wait to see what you do with this.

Karl

Thanks Karl. Means a lot coming from you. I think you'll find I'm a bit odd about doing things.

Been working on the top half like I told Tommy, but other things have been going on so haven't been at the wrokbench to much.

Bernd

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal