Broke the couplers

Started by Lynnb, December 21, 2020, 03:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnb

Hi folks, had a bit of an accident testing my rails and running the cmx cleaner. How do I replace these couplers on these Bachman's? From what I've read , there not fixable. As you can see the gear box is gone on the one. I have some new kaydee couplers but have never done this before. I'd appreciate even a good YouTube link. Thanks
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

jerryrbeach

Lynn,

I would mount the couplers to the bodies instead of the trucks.  Glue styrene pads to the bodies to the correct height for the top of the coupler boxes.  Use Kadee boxes that come with the number 5 couplers (also available separately) and mount them to the styrene pads by drilling and tapping for a 2-56 screw.  If you lack a tap, by using the correct pilot hole, and going slowly, the 2-56 screw should cut its own threads in the styrene. Since these are four axle units you shouldn't have any major problems with curves unless you are running less than 18" radius or cars longer than 40 feet.  HTH
Jerry

pbltrains

Lynn,

It looks to me like you can simply remove the screw holding the broken coupler cover, then replace it with a coupler of your choice.

Seth P.
Minnesota