flat car and gondola loads

Started by nycjeff, February 21, 2021, 01:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nycjeff

Over the years I've enjoyed building loads for my flat car and gondola fleet. A couple are from manufacturers, but most are loads that I built from pieces from my stash.

These concrete pipes are from Tichy. The floor stays are painted styrene shapes. I used black thread for the end tie downs.

These larger concrete pipes are also from Tichy, the floor stays are painted strip-wood and again, I used black threads for the tie downs.

The  I-beams are styrene that I painted and weathered and the spacers between the beams are also styrene channel that I painted.

The black pipes are drinking straws cut to length and painted black with strip-wood spacers. The bands are rubber bands.

The iron coils are from an unknown manufacturer and the floor stays are painted styrene angle iron shapes.

Another black pipe load, this time on a flat car. More in a minute

Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

nycjeff

Continuing on...

The scrap iron load is from my styrene scrap box. First I cut a base of thin styrene to fit the bottom of the car and then I painted it with rattle can red primer. I then glued bits of styrene to the base until I had a look I was happy with. I then painted the load with rattle can red primer and when dry, put a coat of my AI solution on it. This was a very easy load to build and I am quite pleased with the look of it. I believe I saw this idea in Model Railroader magazine or on the internet.

This wood pole load is just wood skewers from the grocery store glued around a foam shape. I roughed up the surface with my razor saw and then painted them with brown craft paint and dry brushed them with several other colors for a weathered look. The bands are flexible styrene that I painted.

This sand load is a piece of foam that I carved into a sand pile type shape and then painted with a tan color. While the paint was still wet, I sprinkled some finely sifted sand on it.

This load sits below my ash tower. I cut a foam shape, painted it black and then sprinkled some fine ballast material on it while it was still wet. I then sprinkled on some weathering powders to get the used engine ash look.

This flat car is waiting for it's next load. I weathered some strip-wood and glued it to the floor of the car. A very simple load, but it still tells a story.

Another seemingly empty flat car, but the stakes on the sides indicate it's readiness for a future load. More in a minute
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

nycjeff

Continuing on...

This load is from an Atlas stacked lumber item. The bands are black thread.

This is a wire coil load from Chooch. I liked the look of this load when I saw it.

This flat car is sitting next to the loading ramp at my construction equipment yard. The bulldozer is a Woodland Scenics metal kit.

The wheel sets are from Tichy and they make a good looking flat car load.

This flat car is paired with my Tichy crane. I had fun placing bits and pieces on it to represent a work train car load. The chain between the stakes is from A-line.

I got most of my flat cars and gondolas from Tichy. The six car packs are fun to build and they grow your freight car fleet with nice looking cars at a reasonable price. I can't claim all of these loads as my original ideas. I got most from magazine articles or from internet searches. They are all easily done in just a short time and they give life to otherwise empty freight cars. If you haven't done any I recommend them. That's it for now.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

postalkarl

Hey Jeff:

I really enjoy your modeling. Great looking loads.

Karl

Bernd

Great looking loads Jeff.

Like those Pace Maker boxcars too.

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

postalkarl

Hey Jeff:

I'll agree with Bernd on the box cars.  NYC is my favorite RR and I have several NYC steam locos and passenger & freight cars.

Karl

tct855

Jeff,
        I love it! You have a whole fleet of industry loads-complete with weathering, awesome sir!   But wait!  that can't be all of them, there's more right?  I'm betting you've got a couple more hidden on the layout somewhere...

Question, on the empty modeled cars, did you add weight underneath or are they to weigh standards as is?   Keep'em coming- I love anything flat car/gondola related.  Thanks for posting this thread.
                                                                                                   Thanx Thom...

pbltrains

Jeff,

I love cars with loads too.  You've done a wonderful job.

I had to include a couple of mine too.  Maybe others will join in.

Seth P.
Minnesota

nycjeff

Quote from: postalkarl on February 21, 2021, 01:54:45 PM
Hey Jeff:

I really enjoy your modeling. Great looking loads.

Karl

Hello Karl, thanks for the nice comments, coming from you and the high level of your modeling it is much appreciated

Quote from: Bernd on February 21, 2021, 10:08:40 PM
Great looking loads Jeff.

Like those Pace Maker boxcars too.

Bernd

Hey Bernd, thanks for checking in and I'm glad you like the Pacemaker's, they are one of my favorite NYC cars.

Quote from: postalkarl on February 21, 2021, 11:39:53 PM
Hey Jeff:

I'll agree with Bernd on the box cars.  NYC is my favorite RR and I have several NYC steam locos and passenger & freight cars.

Karl

Hey Karl, it's nice to know that there are so many other NYC fans out there

Quote from: tct855 on February 22, 2021, 03:01:26 PM
Jeff,
        I love it! You have a whole fleet of industry loads-complete with weathering, awesome sir!   But wait!  that can't be all of them, there's more right?  I'm betting you've got a couple more hidden on the layout somewhere...

Question, on the empty modeled cars, did you add weight underneath or are they to weigh standards as is?   Keep'em coming- I love anything flat car/gondola related.  Thanks for posting this thread.
                                                                                                   Thanx Thom...

Hello Thom, glad you like my flat car and gondola loads There are one or two more that I didn't take pictures of. As to the empty cars, I did not add weight to them.

Quote from: pbltrains on February 22, 2021, 07:42:54 PM
Jeff,

I love cars with loads too.  You've done a wonderful job.

I had to include a couple of mine too.  Maybe others will join in.

Seth P.
Minnesota

Hello Seth, glad you liked my car loads and it was great to see yours. Thanks for including your pictures
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

ACL1504

Jeff and Seth,

The loads are wonderful. Well done gents.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

Hey Jeff:

quit welcome.

Karl You are w