An Idea for when a coal load is smaller than the car is long

Started by tct855, February 25, 2021, 08:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tct855

Hello all,
I have a Walther's 6-pack quad bay 100 ton hopper car kit set. I bought many years ago and just happen to open a box of rolling stock and out came this set.

Below:
1) Walthers quad 100 ton hopper car is longer than the plastic coal load pack I had on hand.
2) Walthers 6-pack car kit (collectors edition #3).
3) Floor bottom cut open. Note: car inside is factory painted flat black.
4) B-end details added are brass wire air piping and brake chain w/cog wheel, air hose, un-coupling lift bar and metal kadee couplers.
5) Styrene rod car side air line, car center sill metal weights with cerrabend added in center. Note: all add on bay doors w/latches glued on with open door latches w/brass wire latch connecting rod added.
6) Inside of car with cut open floor doors.

tct855

Cont...

7) Car needed weight to bring up to NMRA standards. Cerrabend moldable metal added underneath car. Note: weights can't be seen when car is upright.
8) Plastic coal load added with styrene slop w/real coal glued on. Note: coal rests on flat center beam platform.
9) Painted inside of whole car with aluminum color and weathered with oil paints/pan pastels.
10) Outside of car is weathered with several layers and colors of oil paint. Note: effect is a light dusty grime look (even tho I take poor pictures).  :-\
11) Overall car weathering and detailing.
12) B-end overall view.

tct855

cont...

13) Notice the coal has clumped together from the dirt and moisture that has found it's way into the coal from sitting on the ground.
14) Notice the inside car coal line weathering.
15) Notice overall car weathering.
16) Overall weathered side of car with open doors on bay 4.

tct855

cont...

The following are more views of car.

20) Overall weathering view of underneath of car. Note: Branch line trains metal wheels replace the plastic kit wheels.

Hope this pictorial was helpful. Thanx Thom...

tct855

cont...

Hope this pictorial was helpful. Thanx Thom...

Car #2 is now completed.
Since this build is basically the same as 1st car (the only difference is I added sound and a full load).
Rather than bore you with the same pictures here's a test sound build video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tiTZLTdcxI So what say you?
Car #3 will be again completely different.
Thanx Thom...

ACL1504

Thom,

Absolutely beautiful my friend. Really looks great even though it is a RG hopper.  8)

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

bparrish

Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

tct855

ACL 1504,
         Thanks T,  (even though it's a RG hopper) ha, we all can't have the famous AS hopper that traveled the world including the F&SM huh!  Remember all those great photos from all the layouts?  Wow-those were the days!  http://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=962.0 
                                                                                                                          Thanx Thom...