Lake Region first build J Keen

Started by Dennis Bourey, February 28, 2021, 03:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Bourey

Hi Guy's, I took the bull by the horns and started a first wood build. I chose The J Keen's and I hope it work's out? I never built a wooden model yet and here goes. I started yesterday and I Spray painted the insides black and outside gray primer. Then I used Hunterline Blue gray stain as the main coat When dried I used a piece of sponged I used Folkart Ice Coffee and Skimmed a light coat over the Hunterline stain. As it was drying I did the windows in Apple Barrel Arbor Green.
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Keep It Rusty

I think those walls look amazing.

Glad you took the plunge, Dennis.

Looking forward to more.

Dennis Bourey

Thank You Rusty But still scared to post lol.
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Keep It Rusty

Your journey is your own, Sir, and we're all here to encourage. Keep on truckin'

Dennis Bourey

Couple of more shot's and I don't understand why picture is so dark? The camera was with flash on weird.
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Dennis Bourey

Thank You Rusty. I did not like the wooden foundation they give with the kit as with the peel and stick stone's. I got some foundation castings from my stash that I got from New England brownstone and started to cut my own foundation out of plaster. I used there wooden foundation as my template though.
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Dennis Bourey

I dried fit the Building on the foundation and started to cut more of the plaster.
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Dennis Bourey

Couple of more shot's.
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

deemery

Dennis, I'd suggest making the foundation smaller if you haven't already glued it together.  The siding should overhang the stones (the studs sit on the foundation, and the siding overhangs so rain falls down, rather than landing on the foundation stones and then seeping underneath the structure.)

I like your color choices on the siding and windows.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Dennis Bourey

Dave Thank you very much. I will do that tonight. It's Actually shorter then the one supplied.
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

craftsmankits

Quote from: deemery on February 28, 2021, 04:18:41 PM
Dennis, I'd suggest making the foundation smaller if you haven't already glued it together.  The siding should overhang the stones (the studs sit on the foundation, and the siding overhangs so rain falls down, rather than landing on the foundation stones and then seeping underneath the structure.)

I like your color choices on the siding and windows.

dave

Thanks for that info.  I hadn't heard of that before, but it makes sense.  I'm working on a structure that requires that attention.

Thanks again, Mark

ReadingBob

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

WigWag Workshop

Build is looking great! J. Keen was also my first craftsman kit (I posted a thread on here). Looking forward to the updates.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

Dennis Bourey

Thank you Bob and Steven Very nice.Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Dennis Bourey

My 2 1/2 year old gave Grandpa a kit to build for him. He was so excited to have it for his Thomas the engine stuff.
So I had to take a break from my easy kit the J.Keen build. And Tackle this Grandson and Grand Father build. 
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)