Mountain States Model Works 1940 Ford Rebuild

Started by ACL1504, March 02, 2021, 07:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

While waiting for the paint to dry on Grumpy's Cafe build, I came across this little 1940 Ford. It was in a box of Jim Miller's misc. railroad items. Jim glued it together but never painted it.

I have six of these unbuilt so I know it is a Mountain States model. The vehicle is actually a 1940 Ford Deluxe Coupe. The coupe was two doors and the sedan was four doors.

Since it was never painted, I'll paint it and use it on the A&S RR for Jim. Also, I'll need to "unglue" it and make it a kit once again.

Continued -
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

You can see how it is glued together. The wheels will need to be repaired, realigned and a new axles added.

Continued -

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Since I have nothing else to do,  :o  I thought I'll take on another project. I hope this one gets finished.  8)

More tomorrow evening.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Raymo

I'm assuming these were the same kits sold by Williams Brothers. Grabbing a seat and watching this one Tom..

Oldguy

Ohh, this should be good.  I have a couple of their 1935 Ford 4 doors waiting for action of some type of action. 
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

postalkarl

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Quote from: Raymo on March 02, 2021, 07:52:33 PM
I'm assuming these were the same kits sold by Williams Brothers. Grabbing a seat and watching this one Tom..

Dan,

Happy to have you along on the ride in this rebuilt 1940 ford coupe. Not sure about the WB kit but below is how I got them from an old hobby shop in Tampa.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I used a new #11 Xacto blade and scored along the glue line between the car body and frame.

After several passes and several minutes, I was able to cut through the glue and remove the body from the frame.

You can see in the photo above that I broke the front fender bracket off the frame. This was unavoidable.

I then broke off, on purpose, the four wheels leaving the plastic axles in place - for now.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

To make the front bumper bracket repair I used Evergreen Polystyrene.

I cut off a short piece and then used a single edge razor blade and split the piece horizontally.

I used Plastruct Bondene and glued the two pieces of polystyrene to the underside of the broken bracket.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

bparrish

Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

ACL1504

Next I glued the bumper bracket to the underside of the frame. While the glue was setting, I placed the body back on the frame to make sure the bracket aligned properly so it fit into the slot the front fenders.

You can also see where I cleaned out the axle area. I used a Dremel cut off disc to carefully remove the plastic axles. I used the Dremel on a very low speed so the plastic would be cut and not melted.

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: bparrish on March 03, 2021, 05:54:04 PM
Pretty cool.... Tom

see ya   Tonight

Bob

Bob,

Thank you, Yes, see ya tonight!

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I nipped off the extra styrene using a #11 blade.

Front bumper is now repaired.

More tomorrow evening.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl