Dark Dirt ?

Started by Dennis Bourey, March 13, 2021, 11:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Bourey

Well we hear this topic a million times. So yesterday I was able to get to the shed area and skim some dirt off the ground and I baked it for a hour at 350 and then shift it threw a sifter and then my favorite pair of leggs pantyhose and noticed the dirt is so dark compare to everyone else's. Even Dave's and he lives in the same state. I notice yesterday John's layout was a perfect color around his Diorama setting. As with Karl's O and many other's. Is there something I need to add or do ? I got some bank run gravel to try today. The sand pile is still to frozen to get any, And I have pitcher mound dirt to try today as well.  Like all say. If you don't ask you won't know. Thank you!!!
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

jerryrbeach

Dennis,

The color of dirt varies greatly from its mineral content as well as its organic content.  The real Delaware & Northern ran is the western edge of the Catskills.  Portions of that area have dirt so red as to almost look fake.  I could use that dirt for authenticity but I think most viewers would see it as "wrong".  I looked around for some "dirt looking dirt" and settled on some silt that seemed to be kind of a light brown that I typically see on layouts.  Once I found a supply, I filled a five gallon bucket so I would have enough to use on my layout without having to worry about color variations.  That said, I have two different colors of sand (both bags from home improvement stores).  I plan to use these for gravel (not dirt) roads because roads that have been graveled vary in color and texture from the surrounding dirt.  Dirt that is high in organic matter, i.e., gardens, flower beds, (potting soil), are much darker than run of the mill dirt.  Clay such as found in pitcher's mounds tends to be lighter. 

To better address your "problem" with the dark dirt.  I'd suggest that you figure out what color will meet your needs for your layout.  Remember that indoor lighting is much less intense than sunlight and plan your color accordingly.  If the dirt you have is too dark for the look you want to achieve you have several options if you want to move forward with your diorama.  You can mix something lighter with your dirt to get closer to the color you want.  Some sanded grout can be used to change the color of your dirt.  if you are only working in a small area you can also use powdered chalk to lighten the color.  Lastly, some modelers paint their dirt after applying it to the layout.  You can always use what you have as a base coat and then cover it with a color more to your liking when you have that on hand.   HTH
Jerry

Dennis Bourey

Thank You Jerry, That is very helpful sir.
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

sdrees

Hey Dennis, here is a thread on the Sierra West Forum where Karl explains how to use the sanded grout.

http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/index.php?p=/discussion/244/dirt-details-dioramas
Steve Drees
SP RR

Dennis Bourey

Thank you Steve. Reading it. Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

deemery

Don't be afraid to mix dirt and grout together to get the color you want!

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Dennis Bourey

Dave, Thank you sir. Some say Haystack is a good color.
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

deemery

Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Keep It Rusty

I'm actually heading to Home Depot tomorrow so I'll be sure to pick up some Polyblend and can report back.

My Rocky Point Harbor diorama base has grown in size so I'll be needing more ground cover anyway!

Dennis Bourey

Thank you Dave and Craig. I Homedepot in my state does not carrying Polyblend  Summer Wheat Grout :(
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

sdrees

Dave, if you want the Summer wheat Blend, they will order it for you. That is what I did.  But then I thought it was to light.
Steve Drees
SP RR

S&S RR

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on March 13, 2021, 06:50:03 PM
Thank you Dave and Craig. I Homedepot in this not carrying Polyblend  Summer Wheat Grout :(

Dennis

I checked amazon and you can get it.  It's not cheap.  How much are you guys used to paying for it?
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on March 13, 2021, 11:56:21 AM
Well we hear this topic a million times. So yesterday I was able to get to the shed area and skim some dirt off the ground and I baked it for a hour at 350 and then shift it threw a sifter and then my favorite pair of leggs pantyhose and noticed the dirt is so dark compare to everyone else's. Even Dave's and he lives in the same state. I notice yesterday John's layout was a perfect color around his Diorama setting. As with Karl's O and many other's. Is there something I need to add or do ? I got some bank run gravel to try today. The sand pile is still to frozen to get any, And I have pitcher mound dirt to try today as well.  Like all say. If you don't ask you won't know. Thank you!!!

Dennis

I cheat on the color of my dirt.  I get fine sand from a gravel pit by my cabin. I then screen it and use a mortar and pestle to make it finer. And then after I get it down on the layout I cover it with very fine chalk to get the color I want. The chalk also makes it appear much finer. You need it to be very fine to look right in HO scale.
Smoke and mirrors.   :-[

I actually have some tile grout under the layout that is left over from our master bathroom and kitchen remodeling jobs.  I have never tried it for dirt on my layout.  I need to put that on the list.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)