Dark Dirt ?

Started by Dennis Bourey, March 13, 2021, 11:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Bourey

Well John, Now I know why I have a mortar and pestle. Must of been one your roundhouse or Engine work build. I found it yesterday.
You use your Mortar and pestle to grind your chalk also? Thanks :)
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

postalkarl

Hey Dennis:

I have all kinds of model dirt in my collection so that is pretty much what I use. Heck I don't even remember where I got it all. So at any rate that's pretty much what I use.

Karl

Dennis Bourey

Thank you Karl. There's all kinds of dirt, Weird when my yard real dirt don't look right. lol
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

S&S RR

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on March 13, 2021, 10:22:44 PM
Well John, Now I know why I have a mortar and pestle. Must of been one your roundhouse or Engine work build. I found it yesterday.
You use your Mortar and pestle to grind your chalk also? Thanks :)

I don't find that the chalk needs to be finer - I just scrape it onto a pallet with a #11 and apply it with a brush.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Dennis Bourey

Thank You John, Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

deemery

A piece of (fine) wallboard sanding screen works great for reducing chalk to dust :-)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

sdrees

Dennis, You can order it on line from Home Depot and have it delivered to a neaby store and then you do not have to pay the shipping charges.  Some things on amazon cn be very expensive vs other outlets.
Steve Drees
SP RR

Dennis Bourey

Thank you steve. Heading there tomorrow
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Dennis Bourey

Very true Dave I didn't think of that.Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Opa George

With regard to the grout, I liked the idea and wanted to try it out, so went to the local Home Depot and picked up two different colors. Unfortunately I did not pay close enough attention to the "sanded" part, and accidentally picked up un-sanded grout.  Not the same.  Be sure you get the sanded variety.

--Opa George

Dennis Bourey

Thank you George. What color'e did you pick out? Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Keep It Rusty

Hey Dennis.

On my trip to Home Depot over the weekend I picked up a 25lb bag of "Haystack".

Will report back on my findings over the coming days.

Dennis Bourey

Thank you my Friend....
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Opa George

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on March 15, 2021, 08:46:23 AM
Thank you George. What color'e did you pick out? Dennis

I think it was the summer wheat, referenced above.  I tried using it but was not happy with the results, so went back to my tried and true method of using all purpose sand.  The bag of sand I got a few years ago for $3 at Home Depot seems to be just the exact right color--a light tan.  However sand color varies greatly. I just got lucky.

Opa George

Dennis Bourey

George, Thank you sir. I went to homedepot and I forgot the sand lol. I got a bag of Haystack and paint but I forgot the sand. So it's on my next run list.
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)