Sewall's Foundry using RailroadKits castings.

Started by SteveCuster, March 13, 2021, 05:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernd

Excellent work on that roof. Nice weathering.

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Pennman

Steve,

I too, like using the cedar shake shingles. They look best when weathered and you have done
an excellent job with them. I like that you have missed a few in places. Nice work.

Rich

Keep It Rusty

Great work, Steve. Shingle by shingle isn't for those with a weak stomach, but you've done a fine job.

Mark Dalrymple

bparrish

Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

The latest pics look just beautiful. Keep em coming.

Karl

Jerry

Steve you are a "MASTER" at doing those shingles!!

Are the corrugated pieces the real metal ones??

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

GPdemayo

The shakes came out beautifully Steve, perfect ridge.....great job.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

SteveCuster

Thanks everyone!

The corrugated pieces are the metal ones from Campbells. I sprayed them with light gray primer and weathered them with some chalks. I'm going to add some more pronounced rust with paints but I haven't got there yet.

I'm working on some loading dock ideas for the rear of the structure. I'm thinking of making a concrete slab for the rear loading dock that runs under the whole rear extension building. I'm also not sure what I'm going to do with the front loading dock under the overhang. Not sure if I want to stick with the original FSM design or do something a little different.
Steve Custer

postalkarl

SteveCuster

Hello Everyone,

I made some progress on the extension building over the last few days. I made the concrete loading dock and got to the walls started for the structure.

I tried a bunch of different things to create the proper height for my plaster mold. These lego blocks ended up being just about the perfect height.

This is the mold I made using the legos.

I pulled the plaster from the mold. Looks like with a little touching up it should be about perfect.

I added some chips and cracks in the area that's not under the building.

I cut a piece of clapboard and added a few windows. Here I mocked it up to make sure I had the proper height.

I added a base of A&I to the walls.

Before I applied the paint I added a coating of mineral spirits to the walls to help keep some of the paint from sticking. Before the mineral spirits dried I added the main paint color. This is AK Interactive 3rd Gen Anthracite.

As soon as the paint started to dry I used a piece of tape to pull some of it up. I only waited a few minutes after applying the paint to do this.

I scraped more paint off the walls with a wire brush then I drybrushed the walls with Linen craft paint.

I painted the windows and doors with white craft paint applied with a torn makeup sponge.

After the windows were weathered with A&I I added the acetate and glued them in place.

The rear wall..

Here is the rear extension mocked up.

Next step will be the roof and then I need to figure out what I'm going to do with the other side.

I may still do a wooden loading dock under the overhang like the original design, concrete or none at all- just leave the concrete supports sitting alone and put a few bumpers under to the 2 freight doors with some trucks in front of them.

Thanks for following along.
Steve Custer

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Keep It Rusty

Great work, Steve. Shaping up to be another quality build!

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Janbouli

Wow , looking great Steve, beautiful weathering .
I love photo's, don't we all.