Sewall's Foundry using RailroadKits castings.

Started by SteveCuster, March 13, 2021, 05:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

Looking just gorgeous. Keep them thar pjs a flowing.

Karl

Mark Dalrymple

Really cool technique on the weatherboard painting there, Steve.  They look very realistic.

I'm not sure how the broken sash window would get in that position...

Cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

craftsmankits

As all ways, beautiful work.  Looking forward to your progress.  Mark

ACL1504

Steve,

I love that weathered look on the substructure. I have many of the AK paints but not the 3rd. gen color. Also, I'll be using the mineral spirits and tape method on a future build. Thanks for the clinic.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

SteveCuster

Thanks for the positive comments everyone!

Tom, I recently started using the AK 3rd gen and I love them. I don't typically use them for painting walls, mostly for castings. The coverage is really great, it usually gets it done in 1 coat.

Just a little update today. I got the roof on the shed and started working out the placement of the structure on the layout.

Roof is on..

I decided to not add any sort of loading dock the the area under the stone overhang. I made these bumpers from wood, NBWs and a few tire castings I cut in half.

Some vines were added to hide the seams.

I'm not going to do much until I can glue the structure down. This is unfortunately one of the scenes I need to complete on the layout. I started adding the scenery where it will sit but I can't progress until it dries. I'm going to try to finish painting some of the detail castings and build a few trucks I would like in the scene.

Thanks for following along.
Steve Custer

Keep It Rusty

Great work, Steve. Enjoying this one come together.

Jerry

Excellent work Steve.  Looking forward to the placement of this beauty.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

It's coming along nicely. Keep the pics flowing.

Karl

nycjeff

Hello Steve, another very nice build. I'm looking forward to see what you do for the support columns.   Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

SteveCuster

Thanks everyone!

Over the last few days I installed the structure on the layout and started to work the scenery in around it.

First step before I could install the structure was adding the concrete under it. This is done the same way I had done in my previous builds...plaster of paris smoothed out with a wet sponge and some really light sanding with some fine sand paper to level it out. I colored it with Parisian Gray Chalk paint and weathered with charcoal briquet dust.

My pavement wasn't completely level so I need to shim up the backside of the structure.

I had to do a little bit of adjustment and filing to get the brick pillars to fit correctly. Looks kinda boring to me now but I'll fix that with a vehicle and many details.

Backside..obviously lots more details coming.

This is how it ended up fitting in the overall scene.

Thanks for following along. I started work on a couple vehicles and I need to finish some of the details then I can complete the areas behind the tracks and start working on the very foreground of this area.

Steve Custer

deemery

That looks great in its position, I'm looking forward to seeing how you detail it.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

postalkarl

hey Steve:

Looking just beautiful. The location looks just great. Can't wait to see your RR in person.

Karl

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL